Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to learn how to make sound bites.

I have music on my system that is mp3 and i want to use it for my pc sound scheme. You know, so when I turn on my system I hear that music piece.

I have a notebook and I tried using sound recorder but I am not sure what I am doing.

I can hear it play but when i try to add it to my sounds, an error comes up it may not be a valid sound file.

What am I doing wrong? :rolleyes:

Thank you. :D

·
Banned
772 Posts
... okay, open up your sound recorder, and your volume controls. Go to "Properties," click the Recording button, click OK, and check the box under "Stereo Mix" that says "Select."
Next, open your MP3s in RealPlayer, adjust your volume, and record. You can use the "Edit" tools in Sound Recorder to cut out the "extra" stuff at the beginning and end.
Then use Sound Recorder to save it as a .WAV file.

... it's just that simple. :p

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey,

Ok, I got as far as clicking the recording button. I do not have a box that says stero mix?
I do have 2 boxes that read line in and microphone, they are both checked. should they be?

·
Banned
772 Posts
Hmm. Try opening sound recorder, clicking Edit>Audio Properties, then click the "Volume Controls" button in the recording box. [Middle, I think] If it's still not there, click options, and try selecting Advanced Controls.

·
Banned
772 Posts
Does that record without having to make any settings changes? I only play with freeware when I need it, so I don't know of too much, unfortunately. :p
If so, you've eliminated a step for him/her. Thanks.
CSI, the main point is you MUST save it as a .WAV file.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Trust Me .. Install Audacity and you'll use nothing else.
Settings may depend on your specific sound driver.. but mostly chosen in audacity.
some newer computers (like mine) use a different setting.
There'll be a little learning curve here .. But Audacity is very popular here at TSG ...
There'll be no shortage of help.

It can export your "work" as a mp3 or wav... and record anything your computer can play.

It's a safe/clean install.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
I'll gladly help ... but I'll be down for short periods while I install and play with Vista on a second HD.
I use a lot of freeware .. they better work w Vista.

·
Banned
772 Posts
Haha... good luck with that. My machine is too outdated for Vista, but I'll probably upgrade...
in three years or so.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Noyb said:
Trust Me .. Install Audacity and you'll use nothing else.
WavePad.
You can preview effects before you apply them (which I like a lot), though it doesn't have as many, and it has a cleaner interface.

Can you record line-out in Audacity?

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
PCG342 said:
Haha... good luck with that. My machine is too outdated for Vista, but I'll probably upgrade...
in three years or so.
I expect to have problems .. And I don't expect to be disappointed.
My 64bit VHP DVD is on order ... that ougta be fun.
I don't plan on leaving WXP for a long time.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Noyb said:
Not exactly .. but you can record anything going to "Line Out"
Like I said .. It'll record anything your Computer can play ... or plugged in to line/mike in.
Ok, thanks.

CSIlover, (as you may already know, your post was a bit confusing) once you get it recorded you can go to the Control Panel and click on Sounds and Audio Devices and click on the Sounds tab. Then, select the Program Event sound that you would like to change, click Browse, and find the .wav file you would like to use for that event.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys,

Thank you ALL!!!

OMG! This is so AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Noyb!

It was a snap and I can even clip it, this is so coooool.

One more problem now. When my pc starts and my CSI:Miami theme startes to scream...LOL It doesn't finish playing. Why is that? It gets cut off but i was thinking maybe its to long?

But this player is AWESOME no matter what!

Thanks you all for the help. :) :) happy Happy.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
It should be able to record and play anything your HD can hold.
Did you install the Lame_enc.dll in you Program/Audacity folder ??
It's needed to export in mp3.

Check out the noise reduction in Effects.
Remember, Audacity only works on (edits) what is selected.
Don't overlook the bitrate setting in the lower left corner.

If you think Audacity is awesome .. and you don't have anything better than Windows Image n Fax viewer ..
check out ... http://www.irfanview.com/ ... for your picture viewing/editing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.