Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to create a form in Microsoft Word. I have made the form and inserted fields where text can be entered, but whenever I enter text in the fields it makes the words that are part of the form move over. How do I prevent that from happening?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Howdy. Sounds as if you are still in design mode.

See also this article in Office Articles.

PS
Yeah, Anne! :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I get out of design mode?
Also, I did not find that article very helpful. It said, "Hit File-New, and you'll see a Fax cover template among other forms that are provided by Word when you install it."
When I hit File-->New, I don't see that Fax cover template or other forms. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
211 Posts
mwredt said:
I am trying to create a form in Microsoft Word. I have made the form and inserted fields where text can be entered, but whenever I enter text in the fields it makes the words that are part of the form move over. How do I prevent that from happening?
Could we see some screen shots? This might help.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I clicked on the padlock to lock the form before trying to type in a field. Is that what you mean by protect the document?

I don't know how to show a screen shot.

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
mwredt said:
I clicked on the padlock to lock the form before trying to type in a field. Is that what you mean by protect the document?

I don't know how to show a screen shot.
lock the form after the document is made....did you check out that link i posted upthread a bit?....i went through this process in it....might help you :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you want to show screenshots you can hit the print screen button that is on the extreme top of your keyboard, third button in from the right. This copies the image to your keyboard (you won't be able to see it yet). Then you open up any picture editing program that you might have i.e. paint, photoshop, ect. and right click in a new project and hit pase.

If this takes to much work for you don't bother. It would just make it easer to visualize what you are talking about. That is all.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I followed your instructions and got the file into Paint but didn't know how to get it from there into this message box. But this is how it looks, and I want to be able to type a name under the Speaker column:

Talk
No.. Speaker Time Deviation

1 Talk ________ _________

But whenever I type a name longer than a few characters it moves the text starting with Talk over to the right.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Double clicking on the form fied doesn't work?

Also, I would suggest a table to make your life easier if this is a list that needs to be filled out.

PS on the print screen - When you get into the picture editing software hold CTRL Button & V -- This is paste

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
mwredt said:
I followed your instructions and got the file into Paint but didn't know how to get it from there into this message box. But this is how it looks, and I want to be able to type a name under the Speaker column:

Talk
No.. Speaker Time Deviation

1 Talk ________ _________

But whenever I type a name longer than a few characters it moves the text starting with Talk over to the right.
so have you opened the forms toolbox yet? (view>toolbox>forms) and tried inserting a text form field (ab|)?

Laurex's suggestion is a good one...create a table of the size you need for the variety of info that your providing and requesting....insert a text form field into the cells that require a response.....it really helps to get things organized...after you've got the layout you want, you can fool with the borders and shading windows to get the look you want.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This window doesn't display my form like it should. The following is all on one line and a I need to type a name after the first column, eg SQ, BH, 1, 2, 3, 4:

Talk
No. Speaker Time Deviation
(NEXT LINE)
SQ Marion Wredt _____ ________
(The name is what wil be typed in after the form is made.)

I tried putting a table in after SQ where the name is typed but when I do the table is put on the next line down and all info after SQ is moved down to that line too. Or the table is put on a line all by itself. All I want to be able to do is enter a name in the Speaker column between SQ and the Time column without moving other text.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, slurpee55.That's what I want to do. There are four columns across the page entitled TALK NO., SPEAKER, TIME, and DEVIATION. I only need to have fields to enter information under one column, the SPEAKER column. I want to be able to tab to each field to enter the information.
In the first column under TALK NO. there are six items: SQ, 1, BH, 2, 3, and 4. Items 3 and 4 will each have two names entered, the second will be below the first and indented approximately one tab space. The first name is the speaker, the second is an assistant. But the items under TALK NO. are spaced between two and four lines apart, so they are not all the same.
I tried putting a table in but it does like I said in an earlier post. How do I get it to be just in the SPEAKER column and how do I space it so there is a field in the same rows as the items under TALK NO?
Also, after I have the form laid out and all the column headings and other text typed in, why can't put text boxes where I want the names, then type in the names without moving the other text? If I lock the form before typing the names, why does it still move the other text?

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
It sounds like you want the text to remain as you type it, but the cells in a row will expand to meet the demands of whatever cell is largest in that row - it sounds like the TALK NO cells would be the biggest ones. I also tried inserting an Excel spreadsheet into Word to do the same thing, but it has the same limitations.

·
Registered
419 Posts
In a table you use fixed column width under Table --> AutoFit. That will make your text wrap if it is longer than the cell. Also in Excel you would use "Wrap Text" to do the same thing.

As for using table, you use the table for all of the information. You don't try to create a table next to your information. It is the best way to format things the way you want them. Attached is an example using your information. Sorry, I had to make it a PDF because I can't upload a word document. I left the borders (which you might or might not want) just to show the table.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't know if you still want to put up screenshots. Let me know if you don't.

If you do want screenshots here is what to do. After you have pasted the image into paint and saved your document then on the advanced reply page scroll down and click manage attachments. Click the browse button to find the file you made and click attach file.

If it says that the file is too big you will have to use a different program than paint and make it smaller.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
mwredt: If you're still having difficulty:

1. Create a new, blank document.
2. If not already showing, hit View-->Toolbars, Forms (to show the Forms toolbar--NOT THE CONTROL TOOLBOX).
3. From the menu, hit Table-->Insert-->Table and choose 6 columns and 2 rows.
4. Type your headings in the first row.
5. Place text form fields from the forms toolbar into the appropriate table cells.
6. Hit the padlock on the forms toolbar.

To test, type into the form fields.

I think exegate meant well, but simply selected the wrong FORMS article at Office Articles. Here is my extreme tutorial on creating exactly the kind of form you need:
http://www.officearticles.com/tutor..._creating_fill-in_forms_in_microsoft_word.htm

Remember that it's a tutorial to make a form and NOT a tutorial to make YOUR form.

:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.