Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to make Windows display the encryption key as you type it? To be clear, I want to use the Windows utility, not the software supplied by the wireless card manufacturer.

Some of these keys are quite long and some people find it difficult to get twenty or so characters correct when they can't see what they're typing. And when I'm trying to help over the phone . . . Well, I think you can understand the frustration.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I would suggest simply emailing them the key and doing a copy/paste, which is much easier for long keys. :)

You can also first type the key into NOTEPAD, verify it, then copy/paste it into the dialog.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have the key in their router. I am instructing them where to find it in the router and how to enter it. Most get it on or after the third try; but, it is frustrating listening to them complain "but I know I typed it right" and having to argue with them that it is not possible they did.

Telling them how to copy-n-past is just as frustrating, sometimes. Sure would be nice if there were a way to have Windows show the darned key as you type it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Dealing with complaints. Welcome to the world of IT support !:)

Some configuration router menus have an option to unmask the key by checking a box or similar. Have them copy it into the machine's clipboard, then paste it in the network adapter configuration.

If not, we cannot help you.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
When people give me a hard time for trying to help them, I simply stop helping. :)

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I guess the answer to the initial post is "no" and that settles it.

I was just hoping for a "yes" answer.

There are some NIC manufacturers' software that allows one to unmask the key as it's typed and I just hoped there was some way to do that with the Windows utility.

You don't know until you ask. Thanks for the replies.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
No way that I've ever heard of.

You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.©
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.