Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran chkdsk /f /v on my external USB HDD. Being stupid and impatient, I did a hard shutdown after about an hour of waiting for chkdsk to complete..

Upon rebooting, there is no trace of the HDD on my computer (was drive f:).

I suspect that chkdsk locked the HDD from Vista processes and it cannot now be recognized in MY COMPUTER or DEVICE MANAGER or anywhere in Windows Explorer..It is not showing up in BIOS as a boot option either.

Has there been a registry setting made to exclude the HDD?

To further frustrate matters, I cannot do a system restore to an earlier date.

How can I get the disk recognized?

· Super Moderator
80,087 Posts
You may have cooked the drive........the /v is verbose, displays the name of every file it encounters, and can take ages to run if you've got a lot of files on there. Does it show up in disk management? If it not's in there, I dunno....not a good sign.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not showing up in Disk Management or Removable Storage in Computer Management Tool

· Super Moderator
80,087 Posts
Not a good sign. Is it spinning up?

You may want to go to the mfg site of the external drive and see if they have any diags for that drive.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a Lacie. It does spin up. I can pull power plug or USB and reconnect and it will spin up. Light is on.

· Super Moderator
80,087 Posts
check the lacie site for diags on it.......all told, it doesn't sound good. I don't want to say quite yet that you have a doorstop, but I think the best place to start is the diags on the lacie site.

The fact that it's spinning up but not showing in disk management is not good.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Will see what I can do with Lacie and post later.

· Super Moderator
80,087 Posts
I'm going to move this to hardware as well, see if we can't get some of the other gearheads in on it.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Valis. Sounds like someone should have experience with this issue.

· Registered
109 Posts
Well I have a quite frustrating experience with Lacie drives, they're "delicate" not to say expensive crap.

Try removing the HDD from the enclosure and plugging it directly to your SATA/IDE port, and see if your BIOS shows it.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The drive is now working on a hit-or-miss basis. If I unplug/plug power and USB I can get it recognized. I can read OK, but writing is slow and while writing, the drive will hang and I have to turn power off to keep Windows Explorer from hanging up my computer.

I think the drive is just "going." It is always on (for past three years) and I guess things just wear out.I'll get a new drive and try to copy all of my backups from the bad one.

Right now I'm running a GUI checkdisk from Drive's TOOLS menu. Maybe that will do something.

Anyway, I think I'll mark this "solved." Thanks for your help!!!

· Super Moderator
80,087 Posts
three years, always on.....yeah, that's a good record.....:)

back the data up, time to get a new one. I've got a WD passport 1tb and a Seagate external 1 tb that I use to keep off site mirrors of my main rig......but they are not plugged in 24/7.......I just perform weekly backups between the three, and am good to go.

glad it started working again.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still flaky, now won't recognize as ntfs drive. I'm going to reformat and see what happens

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Format failed. Drive stopped spinning. System wouldn't recognize it after that. Went out and bought a 1tb seagate. It works fine. Have started new backup series. I have one bookend now, hopefully I won't have another for a long time.

· Super Moderator
80,087 Posts
question: does it have to be on 24/7? If not, you will most likely extend the life quite a bit........always considering you don't perform the bounce test on it, as I did with an early external......

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Valis. I unchecked the test box. Drive can be software set to power down after inactive time intervals. Am playing with time set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.