Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)

My nephew came over for Christmas break and he brought his HP Pavillion A1310N with him.
It has windows XP pro just like the rest of the computers in the house. We have cable and a Linksys router.

He was able to connect normally until today, he keeps getting the message that there is Limited or No connection. I have done everything I could, reset the router, checked the I.P and refreshed it because thats what I read to do. It tells us there is a conflict with an IP on the network. I checked the troubleshooter he has, I tried everything it suggested step by step with no luck. I know calling HP would result in the same but we plan to call when they open today. I know it isn't the connection, we have 3 other working computers in the house and his was working fine too until today because we were gaming all night before. The cord used in his machine was in my printer so its not the plug. The weird part about it is that he can connect to Ventrillo, the voice chat program and talk just fine, but when we try to pull up the browser or any games it refuses to connect them.
Ventrillo is the only thing that will connect to the internet right now on his machine so theres some kind of connection, but it is limited. The firewall is off.

Norton popped up earlier on there today right after he lost connection and said that he caught a Trojan and prevented it from installing. Would a virus be able to cause this? It said it was quarantined. He never runs ad-aware but as soon as we get this working he will be regularly.
How do I run a scan on his machine to tell you all what he has running? I did it so long ago, I cant remember. I will answer any questions as best I can, please help us.

We are so frustrated, any suggestions are appreciated. We planned this vacation forever ago and this is really messing up our plans :(

Thanks, Karen

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Ah I love this one - it took me a year and a half to figure it out

You must have a computer linked directly to the router right?

If so, then try to switch that on, and connect to the internet before turining on the laptop, and then maybe it'll work

My guess is you can connect to the netowrk with his laptop, but not the internet

Try it and reply ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the router is always on :(

still no luck here. I downloaded a bunch of spyware scans and hijackthis and cleaned up his machine a bit, but it still wont connect for us. I guess a reformat is going to have to happen. I was really hoping not to, I'm not even sure that will fix this.

·
Super Moderator
43,953 Posts
Kareboo,

Question, is your nephew's computer set to automatically obtain an IP address? Also if he has more than 1 network card, then disable all but the one you are using for testing purposes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.