Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It is a point-to-point file sharing application that more often than not is used for illegal activity.
Edit: To clarify this and to answer your question more directly: No, Limewire itself is not illegal. What is illegal is how people often use it.

A quick Google-search turns up its homepage. You will be able to find removal instructions there.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
we arent permitted to give advice on this subject. i think a moderator should come by and review this and close this thread
The site rules specifcally say:

If you're interested in the topic, you are free to discuss it on our site (and please visit StealingIsIllegal.com), but information on how to use them will not be provided.

The OP is asking what it is and how to remove it. Personally, I think proper eduction is important in helping people avoid what is wrong, so I think his/her question is appropriate.

It will be interesting to see how the moderators view the appropriateness of the thread.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
Lime wire isnt illegal
but many of the files you get from the downloads are
In addition to that it is a spyware farm,as many of the files are pretty small and dont run....well they did run but just not what the victim had intended.
I would uninstall it by all means.
To further add many p2p networks have been cooperating with the law,ip numbers are logged and the files received and shared.

Gone are the days of comfortable file sharing....it just isnt worth the risk
now if you have 250 thousand sitting around for the fine.......well never mind as one could buy the media then,if we were strapped that well.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
casper0191: I think I understand what you are saying.

Yes sharing with it or any other P2P method may result in being infected with malware. Along with brett888's words: Limewire (and the Nutella network that it uses) is mostly infested with things that you do not want to get involved with, so it is best to remove it.

P2P itself does have its place when used responsibly though.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
It's OK to discuss how to get rid of it, it's not OK to discuss uses and configuration, etc. :)

I agree that P2P has it's place, but the board administration has decided to not support it. This is simply because most queries about use here turn out to be for illegal file sharing. Very few people that have a legal use for it have much trouble using it from my experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.