Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to use Sony Trinitron as monitor with Compaq laptop with s-video out to display video. Works very well with Vizio without any adjustment, reconfiguration or difficulty. Same setup does not work for Sony Trinitron kv32fs. No video data is apparent. I have tried going through a DVD player/recorder as well as a sony media center with same results. Have tried Video1, Video2 etc... cannot figure this one out. Audio comes through fine using split cable from ear phone jack.

What am I not seeing here besides a picture on the screen?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
First you need to define which AV (1,2 etc.) actually pertains to the s-video input.
Then (with your TV switched to this input first), then hold down the Fn key and toggle F? (often 3 or 8 on laptops) to clone monitor. On your laptop it should give you option 1 (laptop screen only) 2 (laptop and TV) 3 (TV only), each time you press the corresponding F key.
If the Sony recognizes nothing you may need to go into the display modus on your laptop and fiddle the resolutions. Until TV recognizes input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I had already tried manipulating between AV designations and yesterday tried the "clone" options.

I stopped to think for a moment and realized that although my girlfriend had an s-video "in" cable connecting to her set from her Sony media center which I detached and had been using to connect to the laptop, she also had a "coax" video in and old traditional "banana-plug" type jacks as input as well. It occured to me that perhaps the s-video receptacle may have been damaged over the years in moving. I reasoned that since video signals were available from other "sources" the problem never manifested. In desperation I decided to try going directly from a stand alone DVD player using the s-video cable to the TV. No video!

Then I really got "inspired". I tried using a "new" s-video cable which I had on hand for the "Vizio". Even though there was no apparent reason for the old cable to malfunction; no visible trauma was evidenced, no history of abuse (my girlfriend is a neat freak and takes meticulous care of everything in her home) the new cable provided the answer.

I had forgotten two of the cardinal rules of my own field of expertise; when diagnosing, remember that: "common things are common" and "when you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras".

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
.............. "common things are common" and "when you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras".
Occam's razor strikes again:D

Please remember to mark this thread as solved and good luck:):up:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.