Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Sony Vaio VGN-NW110D laptop computer for my father. It came with Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium Edition. I notice that, if I shut down the computer (not standby, but shut down), it still uses battery power. For example, it could go from 100% down to below 80% battery power overnight. Is this normal? Or is there a problem with this laptop? If the latter is true, what could be the problem? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
The battery will always drain when it's in the laptop, and even when it's out. Over 20% overnight isn't still normal... Does it drain any if you keep the battery out of the laptop? Try it next night...

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you shut it down? If you've never used Vista before, the "power" button in the start menu, as well as the computer's own power button will not power it down, you'll need to either change the power settings to do that, or use the little right-pointing arrow from start menu and choose shut down from there.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The battery will always drain when it's in the laptop, and even when it's out. Over 20% overnight isn't still normal... Does it drain any if you keep the battery out of the laptop? Try it next night...

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you shut it down? If you've never used Vista before, the "power" button in the start menu, as well as the computer's own power button will not power it down, you'll need to either change the power settings to do that, or use the little right-pointing arrow from start menu and choose shut down from there.
+1. Most people don't realize that the shutdown button changes to sleep or hibernate after updates are applied.

Does it look like a gold like colour or is it red?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Wow! What you are saying is quite terrible. I have two other laptops using Windows XP and none of them drain the battery when powered off like the Sony. I can leave those off for weeks and the battery drainage would be minimal. With the Sony, if I take a long trip I risk loosing half of the battery charge or maybe even more by the time I arrive to the destination, and this without even using the computer.

I have been turning the computer off by clicking on the small right-pointing arrow and then selectthe shut down option.

Is there anything that could be done to prevent this drainage in Vista?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
It's not about Vista if you've been doing that, that way it does power down completely. I would start suspecting a bad battery at this point. Contact Sony...

And do post results about how the battery drains when it's not in the laptop... Run with AC power plugged in for that time being.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the following two tests:

Test A: With the battery being 100% charged I shut down (by clicking on the small right-pointing arrow) and unplugged the computer for 12 hours. The battery remained in the computer. Then, I restarted the computer and the battery showed 96% full.

Test B: With the battery being 100% charged I shut down (by clicking on the small right-pointing arrow) and removed the battery from the computer for 12 hours. Then, I reinstalled the battery and restarted the computer. The battery showed 100% full.

So, the battery does not loose the charge when not installed in the computer but lost 4% of the charge when left inside the shut down computer. Is this normal?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
That sounds normal. If you know that your laptop won't be used for a long time with a need for the battery, just unplug the battery. If you use it at home, use AC power instead of and without battery, etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What sounds strange to me is that I have an olde Dell Inspiron running Windows XP Professional and, when off, it does not consume any battery power. Why would the Sony be different? Or is it because of Windows Vista? What is this power been used for?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
It's not because of Vista, the power is not used for absolutely anything, the battery just drains. The old Inspiron probably uses a different kind of a battery. (can't say the names, Li-Ion batteries and some others exist, some have a "memory effect", some drain on their own, just like rechargeable AA batteries, etc...)

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The old Inspiron probably uses a different kind of a battery.
It's my understanding ALL laptops use Li-Ion batteries and no other kind.

Michael9009.. Since the battery maintains a 100% charge overnight when out of the laptop and does not when in the laptop, I suggest you contact Sony Customer Service about it. Does not sound normal to me.

Raybro

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not because of Vista, the power is not used for absolutely anything, the battery just drains. The old Inspiron probably uses a different kind of a battery. (can't say the names, Li-Ion batteries and some others exist, some have a "memory effect", some drain on their own, just like rechargeable AA batteries, etc...)
But the battery does not drain when removed from the computer. It only drains when inside the computer even when the computer is shut down. My girlfriend has a similar problem on an HP laptop running Vista.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
But the battery does not drain when removed from the computer. It only drains when inside the computer even when the computer is shut down. My girlfriend has a similar problem on an HP laptop running Vista.
Windows is not supposed to use your battery at all when shutdown or put in hibernation

Sleep yes.... it is the equivalent of standby in xp.

I suspect your radio is staying on.

Go to bios and look for a setting allowing the radio to wake the pc.

I am not familiar with your model so I dont know for sure.

You can also look in device manager and find your wireless card
Select properties look for a power management setting........allows windows to shut off this device.

After changes the settings if you have them...reboot.....When you go to bed shut down the pc and unplug the power cable going into the side of the pc.

Post back with battery drain results

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you haven't already figured out the problem with your battery. I think I may have the solution.
I have the exact same laptop Sony Vaio VGN-NW110D and while messing around with the Battery power plans and such; I came across this option called "enable battery care function" located under Power managment and battery charge functions. It's a feature that brings ur battery life down to 80% but lasts just as long as if it were at 100% . here is the exact detail under battery care options.

*You can specify the amount of battery charge
by setting the amount of battery charge low, battery degradation can be prevented

I'm guessing the laptop was maybe set to this on default.
Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.