Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dual boot with Kubuntu 8 (in addition to my Win XP). I am trying to upgrade to Kubuntu 9 by using Adept Manager over the Internet. Everything looks OK, then the upgrade halts because it says it cannot lock the necessary files. It suggests another package manager (such as apt-get) may be running and to close it. I have no other package managers running, though. I checked my running processes and found nothing which could be locking anything.

Does anyone have a work-around for this? I do not have a recovery mode option in my menu.list file, and I do not know how to edit it correctly. I am at the point where any further steps would be like trying to dig myself out of a hole: I would just be getting in deeper.

All I want to do is upgrade my beloved (K)Ubuntu!

Linux---always an adventure.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be 8.10, arochester.

I have not tried any command line procedure - I was simply following the upgrade instructions on the Ubuntu website, which is to do it through Adept Manager. Which of your suggested commands should I try?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, this is the error I keep getting.

I tried logging in in safe terminal mode and doing a
Code:
[SIZE="4"]sudo adept_manager[/SIZE]
but I got the same error.

Then I tried:

Code:
[SIZE="4"]sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.[/SIZE]
Any ideas? I just know it is something I am missing! Thanks!

·
Registered
696 Posts
You can only upgrade from one version to the next e.g. 8.04 to 8.10, 8.10 to 9.04.

If you have anything worth keeping and can save to an external hard drive you would be better and quicker to do a clean, new install instead of an upgrade...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, arochester. I'll have to think about that one. V 8.04 has become so comfortable I may not want to start all over.

This was what I was hoping to avoid with Linux - the periodic install-from-scratch that Windows always seemed to require.

·
Registered
20,008 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Wino. I think I'll just do a clean install. Now The same old problem will happen: I want to install on the same partition that I have been using. Where does the boot loader go?

During the Ubuntu install, you are asked where to put the almighty GRUB. I want it where I have had it, on my fd0 floppy.

The problem seems to be that fd0 is not an option during the install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.