Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I took my keyboard keys out to clean under them, when i put them back the space bar and enter keys are not working right. They only work if i hit them in the middle and there doesnt seem to be any springy feeling to them

Dan

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
dano_61 said:
Hello

I took my keyboard keys out to clean under them, when i put them back the space bar and enter keys are not working right. They only work if i hit them in the middle and there doesnt seem to be any springy feeling to them

Dan
buy a new one

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I guess the only thing I can suggest is to pull and replace them again then pray. Either that or as bright said......

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Howdy folks...

dano_61...

There should be like a wire spring bar under both keys, sounds like it is missing or in wrong, try taking them back off and reposition the spring...

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
dano_61 said:
Hello

Dan
Hey, like whomever it was said, there is a metal thing under the space bar anyway (it's kind of a pain in the butt to get it back on correctly, BTW), that might be your problem. So, you took the keys off and cleaned under them???? How did you get them off without breaking them?? I tried taking mine apart and only successfully managed to get the spacebar out...the others aren't wanting to come off, and I was being a chicken not wanting to break them!!!

Also, did you print a diagram or something to keep track of which keys went where? What did you do for that? I have limited memory, kinda like this computer (LOL!!), and could use some advice on that.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Limited memory? Don't know QWERTY? ;)

But yeah - there is a metal bar for the space bar - and if the wrong springs are used (swithced) that maybe the problem.

OLDER keyboards - which were built TOUGH to last for years were design to have the keys removed. (I'll try some recent dead keyboard and see if they happen to still pry off) - So I remember many many years of ago of pulling out my keys and soaking them in warm water and cleaning them - bestway to get the dust and dirty out from under the keyboards - before they had CANNED-AIR.

Also, I had changed my keyboard o dvorak keyboard layout - which is akward - but did make sense. Remembe folks - the QWERTY keyboard layout was Designed to be as SLOW AS POSSIBLE because typist were jamming the keys on typewriters!

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak

I think once OLED keyboards become cheap - it'll be easier to switch to Dvorak when needed...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all

With no disrepect to the first response, if you buy a new one every time something breaks could be expensive, Jedi you were right, the spring was not fitted right. Fixed now
Farmgirl, when i took the keys out i did one row at a time and layed them out in order

Thanks all for your help

Dan

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
dano_61 said:
Hi all

With no disrepect to the first response, if you buy a new one every time something breaks could be expensive, Jedi you were right, the spring was not fitted right. Fixed now
Farmgirl, when i took the keys out i did one row at a time and layed them out in order

Thanks all for your help

Dan
I dont know about $$$ my KB's are under $10, if theyre that expensive, wash your hands before using them, so they dont get so dirty, also alcohol with q-tips, and canned air, helps you clean w/o disassembly.
IMO most times a KB or mouse gets too twitchy, out they go.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Some of my clients have been havings problems with wirless kbs from M$ & Logitech - replacing them every 3-6 month - no visable damage. But the failure rate for these $60~100 sets (M + K) is kind of expensive.

Sorry Brite - I can't use a $7 keyboard ;) with the powerbutton next to the cursor keys. But my keyboard is almost 10 years old (Its #2, but I had it in storage in case the main one failed - about a year ago) - A M$ Natural Clone KB that is better designed IMHO. This keyboard is SOOOO OLD - that it has the OLD AT-Keyboard connector! Attached to a PS2 adapter, pluggd into a 3ft PS2 extender so I won't have this HUGE heavy thing - sticking 3inches off the back of a PS2 port. No suitable replacement found...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.