Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard - but the problem seems to exist with any keyboard - and I'm using Windows XP. When I first boot-up and try to type my password, I get nothing - no input from the keyboard. However, I can hit "Restart" and everything works fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Sometimes you'll need to start Windows with a standard keyboard, install your wireless keyboard software then shutdown and start with the wireless keyboard. That assumes the keyboard came with a disk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.
Whether I use a standard keyboard or wireless, the same thing happens - no response from the keyboard at initial boot-up. There must be something different when using "restart" that boots differently than the first boot-up, eh?

Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Color me confused, you mean you can't use the keyboard on first boot to the login screen but using your mouse to click restart at the login screen you reboot then the keyboard works fine?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
:eek: Now I have to admit that's a new one for me. I'll have to put some thought to it and dinner's ready. Maybe someone else will come up with an answer but if not I'll get back to it as soon as I can. Weird.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Are you running service pack 2?

Try this,
Turn off your computer.
Unplug your keyboard and mouse.
Start your computer. If startup freezes with a black screen that says keyboard not found, hold the start button in to shut the computer off again. plug keyboard and mouse back in and start it again. Sometimes that will reset the keyboard controller

Or this,
Double click on System, click on the Hardware tab.
Find the listing for keyboards, click on the + to expand it.
You'll then have the listing for your keyboard.
Right click on it and select Uninstall.
Reboot your system.

If those don't work, try opening the case and reseating all the boards and look for anything that may be loose causing a short. If you haven't done this before just be careful and also make sure everything is dust free, etc. Post back if you need help with this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mouse works!!

The cord from the "wireless signal sender thingey" (how's that for tech speak?) was split with one end which plugged into the USB port and the other had a mouse serial port connector. I had them both plugged in - for the mouse AND the keyboard, right? Wrong. I only needed to connect with the USB. I wouldn't have known it except for your suggestions to experiment with plugging and unplugging the mouse and keyboard.

Thanks Griff!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Have you tried enabling legacy support for USB mouse and keyboard in the BIOS? (You will probably have to enable legacy support for all USB devices.) Except for a specific keyboard (that most of us on this board cannot afford), all keyboards use the standard BIOS drivers for the keyboard and use additional drivers for the extra buttons on the keyboard.

Courtney sends....

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Outstanding :up: and you're welcome. You can mark this thread closed with the Thread tools at the top. Don't be a stranger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.