Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I (perhaps foolishly) installed a download manager called JDownloader from a site that claimed it would be much quicker for managing downloads. It appears to be a Java enabled tool that uses runtime 6, but nothing will download through it.

All it has done is slow my computer down a lot and I have attempted to uninstall it through the Add/Remove programs and it will not let me uninstall it.

I need to get it off my system, I am concerned it is simply malware.

Can someone help please?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
jkr6064,

From what I can tell from their website, all you have to do is delete the jDownloader folder.

If you have jDownloader v0.5.x, you may need to uninstall Click'n'Load first. Go to Configuration > Main > Click'n'Load and click Uninstall before deleting jDownloader folder.

I also found this here:

Uninstall for Windows

To remove all registry entries created by JDownloader, execute JD_HOME/tools/Windows/uninstall.reg
JDownloader Search

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I can't locate any folder or any reference to JDownloader.

I tried searching my entire C:\ for either JD_HOME or uninstall.reg. Neither found anything.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I just download the program to test it. Here is what I found:

The downloaded file for jDownloader is a ZIP file named JDownloader_0.6.193.zip

When you unzip it it creates a folder name JDownloader 0.6.193 at the location you indicate. In this folder is a file named JDownloader.exe which will start the program. Do a search for this file to find the folder location.

If found, run the file and go to Configuration > Main and click on Uninstall below the Click'n'Load icon to uninstall the Click'n'Load program. See image below.

Then you can delete the folder where you found the JDownloader.exe file to remove the program from your computer. If no file was found then you probably deleted the folder already.

Here is a link to the uninstall.reg file. It lists the Registry entries that should be removed. You can do it manually if you are comfortable with editing the Registry or you can save the txt file and change the name to uninstall.reg then double-click the file for the changes to be made for you. Either way, be sure to make backup of the Registry before making the changes. Just keep in mind that this uninstall file is for the version 0.6.193. I don't know if you downloaded a different version nor if the Registry changes would be different for a different version.
uninstall.txt

FYI: I ran the downloaded file through a virus scan as well as a malware scan and found nothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
After you get the JDownloader removed from your system, if you would still like to have a download manager, I suggest Free Download Manager. I've been using it for a number of years. It works with all 3 of my browsers (IE, Firefox and SeaMonkey), although you must do a little customizing with the 2 alternate browsers.

FDM, has the capability of stopping a download and picking it up again where you stopped. No starting over. Thats' real good to have when one is on dial up like I am. :( There is no appreciable acceleration of the download even though there appears to be because it has multiple connections to the server. Since the connection is the limiting factor on dial up, the download speed is the same regardless of the number of connections to the server. That probably doesn't apply to a cable, DSL or satellite connection. I don't know, probably not a consideration anyway unless it is a humongous download.

There are other download managers available and some alternate browser (like Firefox and SeaMonkey) have download managers built in. I keep using FDM because I have history I want to maintain in one location with future downloads. Plus, it's easy to use.

Raybro

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ratboy

Daft as this sounds, this does not appear to be the JDownloader I have installed. The website claimed it was a proprietry software they had written and it is in my programs list, but I cannot find a folder anywhere for it. This is why I am concerned.

Raybro - thanks. I actually have always used the DownThemAll manager that is in Firefox Add Ons and have never had a problem with that, although it does lose downloads if the system crashes. However, the website claimed their's was the business and so I got suckered I think.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
In the Programs list right-click on one of the listed files and select Properties.

What directory is listed for the Target?

Click on the Find Target button in the window that comes up. Does there appear to be any uninstall files listed here?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I uninstalled Java and then deleted all the Java folders. That did get rid of the file in my Programs list, but it is actually managed to create a start up entry so now each time I boot up, so does this program despite it now apparently not existing.

I have deselected it from start up, but how it has buried itself into my start up I do not know.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
If you can definitely identify the startup entries for this program, you could try using Autoruns to prevent it from starting up (by unchecking the box(es) next to it/them); http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Autoruns is much more detailed than the startups list available in msconfig and, if you use the 'Hide Microsoft Signed Entries' option, it should be easier to identify the startup entries you are trying to prevent from working.

Bear in mind that Autoruns does modify the Registry, so you should not use the 'delete' option unless you are absolutely certain you have identified the right ones. Temporarily disabling the relevant startups by unchecking the boxes would be the safest option in the first place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have also foolishly installed JDownloader. Then, I was told that there was no way of removing the program, so I just removed the folder.

Problem is, now once it's gone, the more "traditional" Windows way of downloading files (eg. simply clicking on them and/or "save target as") has been completely disabled. I've tried a system restore but to no avail.

Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out!

Thanks,

V

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ummm...seems the problem isn't as serious as I thought. It looks like it's about the browser (Firefox) as everything works fine when I use Internet Explorer. I've re-installed Firefox to no avail, but at least I can live with it...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to Ratboy for taking the time to look into this for me and post what would have been useful stuff for me if I could find the damn folders!!!

Anyway, thread closed, problem solved (with a workaround).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.