Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

could someone please find time to explain what is the difference between MS Java and Sun java, and what java does, is it something to do with security, I am running xp sp2, have looked in advanced setting in Internet options but can see no mention of java.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Microsoft Java Virtual Machine 5.00.3810 was the java program that was used for a long time, but Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition, is the java program that's now most widely used. The current version is 5.0 Update 3(1.5.0.03).

Java allows your computer to view webpages at their fullest.

You can download JRE 5.0 Update 3(version 1.5.0.03) from here. After you accept the agreement, select the Windows off-line installation version, which is about 15.26 MB in size.

JRE 5.0 Update 3 will get along with and run just fine with Microsoft Java Virtual Machine 5.00.3810(if it's already installed in your computer).

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
DFW said:
Hello all

could someone please find time to explain what is the difference between MS Java and Sun java, and what java does, is it something to do with security, I am running xp sp2, have looked in advanced setting in Internet options but can see no mention of java.
In the beginning, Sun created Java. Microsoft came along and tried to flavor Java into its own brand, which Sun took exception to since Java was never released into the public domain - even to this day. To make a long story short, Microsoft's version deviated from the Java specification, and ultimately lost to Sun.

You should be able to find a reference to whichever Java Runtime Environment (JRE) you download and install in the Advanced tab of Internet Options, which indicates you are using Internet Explorer as a browser.

Recommend after you install the Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) that you also download and install and prefer to use Firefox browser over Internet Explorer - under Tools you will see blocks to check for Java. Afterward, only use IE for Windows Updates.

Otherwise, what DoubleHelix said!

-- Tom

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys.

Lotuseclat I read that IE with SP2 installed is as secure as Firefox, this is why I have not used it, is this not true ?

Have downloaded sun java and installed

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
DFW said:
Thanks for the replys.

Lotuseclat I read that IE with SP2 installed is as secure as Firefox, this is why I have not used it, is this not true ?

Have downloaded sun java and installed
The main reason why I believe this may not be true is that Internet Explorer when all is said and done is very highly integrated into the Windows OS, and therefore makes for a more vulnerable target than Firefox.

-- Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.