Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on formatting a windows xp computer. While doing this, my foot accidently hit the power cord under the desk, and disconnected it. Now when I try to continue the process, it tells me that it can't.

With the Win XP disk in the drive, I start up my computer, and it goes to the disk. It reads the disk, and then comes to the screen where you get the option of pressing ENTER to conitnue w/ the installation, R to repair, or F3 to exit.

If I select the option for either ENTER or R, I get the message:
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configureation is corrct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.
Set cannon contue. To quit Setup, press F3."

I have opened the case, and all the cables are still connected properly. I have unplugged, and plugged back in, just to make sure.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work agian?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran the chkdsk /r, and below is what it came up with.

7859180 kilobytes total disk space
7610420 kilobytes are available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
1964795 total allocation units on disk
1902605 allocation units available on disk
--------------------------

If I put in my USB flash, and boot the computer it will at least pick up that. If I then put in the Wix XP disk, and boot up, it will ask if I wish to boot from disk, so I hit any key. It then goes through the whole process, and gives me the option of ENTER to continue w/ installation, F3 to exit, or R to recover. If I don't have the flash in, then it doesn't allow me to do anything. If the flash is in, then it will sometimes give the option of the c:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have run the format on the local drive ( C: ). Then when I restart the computer, it reads "A disk read error occurred. Press CtrlAltDel to restart. It doens't boot to windows.

This is really getting frustrating.

I thank everyone that has considered a solution and helped.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if it gave me the option to reinstall the OS I would. It still hasn't given me the option of re-installing. It gets to the end of the format, and then reboots auto, still saying that it can't find the HD.

I'm running it again to see...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Format finished running ...

"Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.
Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to our computer. IF the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure our SCSI devices are proplery terminiated. Consult our computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.
You must select a different partition for WIndows XP.
To continue, press ENTER."

Enter, then takes me back to the screen where I can select to install windows on the selected partition, create a partition (not able to select this option), or delete the selected partition.

I am not able to select "C" for creating a partition.

If I press "D" to delete the current partition, I get a message stating that if I continue it will delete all data, continued. Deletes the partition, and brings back to orig screen.

Found a way to create a partition, so I am trying that. Anything is worth a try at this point.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even w/ the partition, I still get the
"Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.
Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to our computer. IF the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure our SCSI devices are proplery terminiated. Consult our computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.
You must select a different partition for WIndows XP.
To continue, press ENTER."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.