Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!!!!!!! I have a network setup at home that consists of 2 wireless computers and 1 wired computer. The wired computer and one wireless are running XP Home SP 2 while the other wireless is running XP Media Edition, which I believe is SP 2 as well. On the wired PC, I can see and access the two wireless computers. The two wireless computers can access each other and see the wired computer, but neither one can access it. I keep getting the message " \\ ,,,,,,is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network." ,,,,,,is in place of the name of the computer. I did ipconfig/all and typed the ip address of the wired computer in the command line of one of the wireless computers and received the same message.

One thing that I have noticed is that the Windows firewall running on the wired computer is being controlled by group policy, while the others are not. Why, I do not know. After spending the entire day working on this, I was finally able to disable the windows firewall. I am still unable to connect. File and print sharing is on and I have folders set up to share on the network. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
The problem PC is XP Home SP2 and file and printer sharing is enabled, right?

On one of the other computers please open a command window and type
ping IPaddrProb
ping ComputerNameProb

where "IPaddrProb" is the IP address of the problem computer and "ComputerNameProb" is the Computer Name of the problem computer.

For each of those pings, did you get replies or did you get packets lost?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
File and Print sharing is enabled on all the computers. I did the ping with the ip address and the computer name and 4 packets were sent and 4 received with 0 lost. I tried the FIXANON.REG that I saw in another post and that did not work. I went into services and stopped the windows firewall, or at least I think it stopped, but still nothing. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Sounds like you're a step or two ahead of me (FIXANON.REG). :) I only have one more "trick" left.

Another possible 'Access Denied" fix: [I lost track of who posted this; the "I" below is not me.]

Can you access the computer by going to the run prompt?

Start > Run > \\pcname\foldername

I had a similar error when I did this. I could ping both machines, but I couldn't access them through network places or explorer.

I found the problem in MSCONFIG. I saw this weird entry under the startup or the services tab. It said
MicroSoft Media Services.

I unchecked the entry, and restarted the computer. Then everything was okay. So I went into the registry and deleted the entry under I believe it's HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the last remedy I know of for XP Home. The next step is save all data, make sure you have drivers, format the disk, install new Windows.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the ping with the name and folder and I got the message ...Not Accessible. I ran msconfig and checked startup and services and did not see the name you mentioned.

I even went as far as running the network setup wizard again and renaming the computer. Of course that did not work and now on the other networked computers, there are icons for both the new named and old named computer. How can I delete the workgroup computer icon with the old name?

My last resort would be to new install of windows. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
"How can I delete the workgroup computer icon with the old name?"

Assuming you are talking about My Network Places I expect it will go away when the Computer Browser service gets the workgroup information updated (15 to 20 minutes).

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Sometimes it takes quite a while for the old name to fade out, just ignore it and it'll go away. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After searching the forums for the last 3 days, I was finally able to get my network up and running. I am running Windows XP Home SP2. For some reason, I hear it might have something to do with installing SP2, my firewall was being controlled by Group Policy. I have several other PCs running XP Home with SP2 and this was not an issue. I had to download Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools and enter a few commands. I believe I got this from a JohnWill post. Anyway, my network is finally up and running and I can print and share files from all the PCs in my house ( network ). Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was wondering how you marked a post solved. Now I know. Thanks for all your help. I greatly appreciate it and look forward to learning much more from this site. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.