Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i replaced my hard drive.Everything worked fine until about an hour ago.I left for a while and when i returned,my computer was froze up.It would not do anything and i had to shut it off using the button on my ups.My first thought was the new hard drive so i switched it out using a cloned drive and it booted up fine so i thought all was well and i had a bad hard drive.About 3 minutes into that boot it froze again and i had to shut it down via the ups.The on/off and reset buttons would not respond at all.I have never had any heat related problems with this computer and recently changed out my heat sink/fan with a artic freezer 7 pro and it has been running fine.I built this computer about 18 months ago.I have checked all the fans and the seem to be running fine and the heat sink/fan is not loose.I let it set for a little while and started it back up and it booted fine but froze up quickly which seems to me to be a heat related problem.Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Can you check your Event Viewer under Administrative Tools to see if it's telling you there's a problem? Generally speaking this could be several issues and not just the HD. Jazz

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can no longer boot into windows.My computer now hangs at boot.I can't even get into the bios.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Open the case and see if your CPU heatsink fan is clean/working.

Leave the side off and let it sit for a while to cool, then try turnin it on again.

My first thought is it sounds like an overheating issue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems the longer i let my computer set,the further ii will go into the boot process which leads me to think it is heat related but i see no reason for it to overheat.It has been running fine for over 18 months.The last time i booted it i got into the bios but it froze before i could do anything.I did see the processor temps and the were fine.It was reading 46 which is what it was when i built it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heatsink/fan is new.I keep the insides of my case very clean to avoid heat related problems.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cpu has been running is this computer over 18 months and the new heatsink/fan has been running for 2 months so i don't see how that is the problem.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
If your sure you didn't move anything in the rebuild for the hard drive then you may try swapping the new hard drive out with an old one if you have one and see if it boots. You may have got a bad hd. Jazz

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the first thing i did but that wasn't it.I also unhooked the hard drive to see if it would freeze at the bios and it did freeze up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is an intel dual core processor and an intel mother board.Right now i can't even get into safe mode without freezing up.This computer has run perfect until today.Replacing the hard drive yesterday was to install a larger one and not because of a failure.I am lost on this one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a sata drive jazz3000.Ok,here is what i have done.I pulled the mb out and set it up on my desk and hooked it back up.I let it run about 15 minutes then hooked up my hard drive to the mb and restarted it outside the case It booted up and ran fine on my desk.Then i put it back in my case and it ran for awhile but froze up when i tried to run a virus scan.I took it back out of the case and hooked it up on my desk again and it booted up and ran fine.I did a virus scan and ran some other utilities,rebooted several times,booted into the bios and into safe mode and it was still running fine after all of that.Right now it is laying on my bed waiting to go back into the case but as far as i am concerned,the problem still exist because i don't know what what has happened to cause this problem.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Sounds like you have two issues going on. One sounds like you might be shorting something out between the casing and the motherboard. The other sounds like the possiblity of some software versus hardware issue of compatibility. It isn't always just one issue. Careful about the installation against the casing. It may have been the SATA to mobo plug that shorted something out when you attached it. Maybe a screw too close to the mobo or in the wrong place.
If it boots back in the case - I'm thinking you might want to reinstall your OS. Does the SATA require a Driver or Drivers? Jazz

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the same things plugged in inside the case as i did outside the case.The software and the hardware that i am running is the same that i have been running since i built this computer without any problems.Sata does not require a driver except the drivers included in windows xp and i am running on a fresh xp installation.I installed it fresh yesterday.I put everything back in the case again and it booted and ran fine this time but i have not reinstalled all of the mb screws yet or anything else.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Well I'm glad to hear your that far. Better news than the first post. I recently got an update on the SATA in mine. Let us know how it's going...we're checking back...Jazz

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.