Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Is it OK to dicuss specific Internet servers?

3K views 46 replies 7 participants last post by  RootbeaR 
#1 ·
Here's the thing...I have a great nearly new P.C and it doesn't connect and/or surf the Web any faster then my old crappy one did! I'm soooo frustrated. I assume it's my server but everyone else I know with the same server isn't having problems...
What to do??? Insist they come check the wires? Any suggestions? Any help appreciated!
Will give server name when I have the go ahead :confused: :)
P.S. I've been using this server for about six years and have never had "fast connections"

#2 ·
The Internet speed is more determined by the speed at which you connect to the Internet rather than the speed of the computer.

For example, if you have a 1 Ghz computer and a 3 Ghz computer, the 3 Ghz is not going to be 3 times faster connecting to the Internet. In fact you likely won't see much difference. Any difference will be from things like how fast is loads IE. But the connection speed is the same.

#3 ·
Thanks Bob...:up:
Here are some visuals that might better explain my situation...
Specs: Dell Dimension 9150 Intel Pentium D Processer(3.0GHz) w/Dual Core Technology.
Hard Drive,320 G,S2#1
Dual inline memory Module 1G, 2x512,533 1R,N-ECC
Windows XP Media Edition

Attachments

#4 ·
There's an interesting piece in today's Windows Secrets newsletter about how IE 7's phishing filter slows things down. If you have IE7, have a look here;http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/070118 (see the end of the first article). Apparently, there is a patch that could cure some of the problems.

Obviously, you could just disable the filter, but then IE will probably be as risky to use as it always has been!.

#5 ·
Disregard my previous post, I hadn't seen the visuals when I wrote it!

If you think the computer is generally slow you may be able to find some threads here about uninstalling the pre-loaded, and usually unnecessary, stuff that Dell install.

#6 ·
The visuals only show your local LAN connection speed. Again a faster computer typically won't surf the Internet any faster than a slower one. It isn't generally dependent on your processor speed but your Internet connection speed. So if you have a cable connection to the Internet, that doesn't get any faster because you have a faster computer as you are experiencing.

#9 ·
Thank you all for the input...Here is my speed results
Hope the link works. I can't say I understand it Augie...
Yes, Doublehelix I do mean my ISP...
Togg, I do have IE but don't use it unless I have to. I use Mozilla Foxfire as my Default...
Yes Bob, I do understand what you're saying I just don't know what my speed should be. It always seems to say my connection speed is (as seen in the visuals) what I need to know is if that is my whole problem???:confused:

#10 ·
Another question ..
Can I disable IE? My work site says I need to use it although the web pages aren't coming up properly anyway...So can I temporarily disable it and have quick access if needed?

#12 ·
Thanks Bob.
I do use Foxfire but I find IE intrusive ...It just pops up every now and then mainly if I receive web sites through my E-mail...Anyway I thought perhaps it might be a good idea to disable it if I could...:)

#16 ·
Bob Cerelli said:
It doesn't so much disable it as misconfigure it so you can't access the Internet with it.

That would not solve the problem you described of IE opening when you click on a web site link in an e-mail. In fact it would make it worse since that web page wouldn't even open.
Right, hadn't thought of that... I have some time right now so I think I'll call my ISP and demand some help!
Thanks for your support Bob:up:

#18 ·
Well the jokes on me it seems, Bob...What I was demanding was a connection that doesn't drop every five minutes and a decent connection speed that would somehow warrant the $55.00 a month I pay them!:mad: I talked to two East Indian gentlemen.One who couldn't help but got his "supervisor" who assured me that he would find my problem. I was told to disconnect all my phones ( I have four floors in my house with a phone on each one) then I was to disconnect my modem, take it to a phone line, plug it in separately at which time he would do a fifteen minute test (as he could see a problem with my phone line) and he would call me back in half an hour! That, Bob was at 7:10 PM. It is now 8:50 PM. I had to reset the modem myself to get back this slow and miserable connection!!!:mad:
I wouldn't be telling the whole story if I didn't empress upon you that I have good manners and the patience of ten! So that's my situation Bob although I'm sure you're sorry you bothered to ask:( thanks for the vent). Have no idea where to go from here.
BTW the miserable ISP is Bell Canada's Sympatico:down: Can't even do Spellcheck as it won't load:mad:
Have a better night than me!

#19 ·
Actually this new information is helpful. All we knew about before was that your new computer was no faster than you old one regarding Internet access. Nothing until now about it dropping so regularly. That would be an entirely different problem altogether. And you are experiencing what is becoming an all to common problem with support, or lack of support, these days.

One reason for disconnecting the phones is to make sure they aren't causing interference on the DSL line. They should all have filters on them anyway. Also there should be a filter on a fax if you have it.

#20 ·
I think I can sympathize with island girl, I have a similar problem, new computer connects very slow to the same provider I use also for 6 years. Don't laugh, I have dialup. It only goes up to 26 Kbps and I got similar explanation from the helpdesk, unplug all phones etc. I didn't do that, it's b.u.l.l., since my 2 laptops on the same line, I mean, plugged into the same socket, not somewhere else in the house, connect at 45.2 Kbps. My guess is that it is a modem problem, not the server or the computer's speed. All other programs, when not using the internet, run very fast. Pictures show up in a splitsecond while the old desktop took its time. So I will have to take my new desktop in to be checked out before warranty expires.
So what does anyone think of that? Am I wrong?

#21 ·
Well bp936... I've been though a few modems...This one's my third...
I did however have an extension on the phone line so I could reach the wall plug...Today I moved all my furniture around so I could plug in directly..It seems to have helped, I'm still thinking I might switch to a cable server if only to satisfy myself that I just might get better support...Bell has run it's course with me :mad: Very bad service! You know, if they would just send someone to check the outside wiring. I'm right here in town...I'm also considering Digital home phone service. I hear it's great and you can keep your old #. I think I'll go ahead and do that even though I hate to have my E-mail address changed:(
Anyway, I hope you get some answers for your problems:)
Good Luck!

#22 ·
Update...
Connection to server finally fixed but still pages are loading slowly...Am troubleshooting "in the dark" so to speak (as I don't know what the hhll I'm doing)! Does this visual tell anyone out there anything?:confused:

Attachments

#26 ·
With Cogeco, I also get F-Secure security services at no additional cost. $2/mo. extra if you get internet lite and want F-Secure. Lite is about $30/mo. and will outperform the connection you have now.
http://www.cogeco.ca/en/high-speed-internet-_o.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.