Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Toshiba laptop loaded with win 95' is giving me the error message "Invalid system disk; replace the disk, and the press any key" on the boot up. I tried to get to the BIOS by holding down the DEL button and then continuiously taping it and nothing will happen except the error will repeat its self. The next thing I did as you suggested to another member is getting a boot disk from a web site and try loading it.

On the boot with the disk in the computer reads: Starting windows 95........ (then) This driver is provided by Oak Tech (etc.) Device name: nospin Transfermode: programmed I/O Number of drives: 1
Then I get the A prompt A:\> (I typed sys c) (enter) and then the computer reads bad command or file name

From this point I may be able to get to the bios but I haven't tried that again.

Please help."Invalid system disk; replace the disk, and the press any key"

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Hi joe, and welcome. I wasn't aware you had a thread, so let's continue here.

I think we covered the fact that you need to be sure you are typing

sys(space)c: exactly as I have entered it here.

Are you sure the DEL key is the bios access key without me doing Toshiba laptop research?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, see I told you I am a novice. I just followed the advice I seen for other people who had the same problem. I should probably tell you that this problem began after I tryed to free up some space on my hard drive. I went through the C: and uninstalling and deleting a few things, including things under the programs file. I though I did not delete anything that seemed important and definately nothing under windows.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Model number on the Laptop?

Did you try the sys c:
one final time?

Also, at the a: prompt, will it change to c: if you type

c:
and press enter?

If so, type

dir
and press enter

Any files at all? Any Windows directory?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>Sent Via e-mail by AcaCandy:

What kind of a boot disk are you using?
>
> Get one here:
>
> http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml
>
> Save to desktop, NOT to floppy, double click on the file and follow
> instructions to create boot disk.

(my reply)

Yes, that is were I got my disk from, I did this under your instruction to another member in 2002. The disk that I used was the MS Windows 95 & 95A, and not the MS Windows 95b (OSR2). How would I know which one is right for
my CPU?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did try sys c: several times and it didn't work. I will try what you suggested (about C: and find the directory) I will also get the toshiba model number.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got to the Directory. (the following is what I see)

volume in drive C has no label
volume serial number is 2D5B-1F00
Directory of C:\

Windows; DOS; ERD; PROGRA~1; TOSHIBA; MYDOCU~1; MYMUSI~1; KPCMS; COMPUS~; PFS; PFSESD; AMERC~1 0; MSSQL7
0 FILE(S) 0 BYTES
13 DIR(S) 552,337,408 BYTES FREE

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Well, if you can see the c: drive, I do not understand why sys c: won't work.

At the c: prompt, go back to a:
and try sys c:
then press the enter key once more

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I do not see my model there. The other thing that it says is that it is a Techra8000. I am at work, and I am not concerned about loosing my information, but we have the Windows 98 operating disk. Is this ok to load this?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Yes, by all means. That was going to be my next suggestion.

With the boot disk, choose w/cdrom support change to cdrom drive which will move one letter ahead, then type setup and hit enter. I would suggest installing into the same directory for the time being.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am sorry I am not sure what your trying to tell me now. I have the boot (Cd win 98' disk in) On the screen I have A:\> what should I do now? Do I need to have the C prompt?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.