Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I did an Ad-Aware scan on my computer. Once the scan was complete I selected to remove everything. After I did that I was no longer able to go anywhere on the internet. Any web page I try to go to instantly comes up as "Page Cannot Be Displayed". It doesn't even try. I can't even log into my router. This is the same in both Internet Explorer and Firefox. My e-mail does the same thing. I open Outlook Express and instantly get an error message saying it can't connect. So I rebooted, which only caused more problems. My uTorrent program gives me an error when it tries to open (but I'll post about that on the uTorrent website), my AIM icon appears in the system tray but never actually opens, and my whole computer is, in general, MUCH slower. I do a virus scan every morning, and I am doing a second Ad-Aware scan now, but it's been going for about 30 minutes and has not found anything. Does anyone have any idea what happened and/or how to fix it (without doing a system restore or re installation)?

EDIT: This problem has been fixed. LitomoSilver in Post #4 below had the solution. The LSP program fixed it.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Why don't you want to run system restore? System Restore just restores your registry to before any changes. This is not a operating system restore that comes on some computers now instead of a CD. You should be able to start system restore from:
Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.
Here is a guide for system restore.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is some more info:

I checked under Device Manager and it says my Nvidia nForce Network Controller is working properly.

I ran command.com and tried to renew my network info, but when I type in "ipconfig /renew" I get "The Operation failed as no adapter is in the stat permissible for this operation."

I then ran services.msc and there are only two items disabled. One is Telnet (which I don't mind being disabled), the second one is "Routing and Remote Access". The description for this is "Offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area environments." I figured this may be why i can't connect, so I tried to start it and I got this error message: "Windows could not start the Routing and Remote access on Local Computer. For more information, review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1003."

All of the other computers that are on my network are working just fine. It's just my computer that this is happening to.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Do a Spybot scan too. And download ummm....a LSP fixer by Cexx, I can't remember what the website name is...try and see if that'll restore the LSP?

Sounds like it might be a LSP problem. Might not be, but if that doesn't do anything, that'll at least take off one item off the list of what might be causing the problem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... I guess it doesn't matter now.... my computer won't even boot. I tried running System Restore, and it said "System Restore cannot protect your computer at this time, please reboot and try again." So I tried rebooting and now my computer freezes as soon as it turns on. I see the Bios info, and then it says:

NCG1221 BF 400
Main Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+

and thats it. "It says Press F9 to selet Booting Device after POST" and also "Press DEL to enter setup" but neither of these work..... This is what I get for running Anti-Adware software I guess.

EDIT: Ok, as soon as I posted the above message my computer booted... it just sat at what I have above for a good 2 minutes... It's in the process of booting now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YAY!!!!!! Thank You SOOOO much! I had to run it a couple of times. There was also another program I found that was made for XP that was also made by Cexx (http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm), and once I ran that it fixed EVERYTHING!. My uTorrent now works, my internet works, my AIM works, my e-mail works, my computer speed is back to normal, and that problem with my computer taking forever to boot is also fixed... Thank you for telling me about his magic progam :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.