Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dell computer running XP operating systems, using Netgear wireless modem to gain access to the internet. I can gain access to the internet using AOL software but cannot gain access using IE. I have uninstalled IE and reinstalled, nothing. I have turned off virus protectionm nothing. I can download updates for AVG but no update for Microsoft. I tried to download software at the beginning to update drivers, no luck. Help, I am at my wits end. I will take any help I can get. I am very frustrated. Thanks in advance.

nancia

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Is this exclusively your computer? Or is it managed by an IT department?
What firewall or other security software is it running?
Which model of Netgear modem/router are you using? Which firmware version?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is a personal computer, used exclusively by myself. I have microsoft firewall and use AVG free for anti-virus ware. I have Netgear WG111v3. I do not know what firmware is, sorry. Thanks for your help. I do have another computer that has a landlock modem attached to it. I use the otherend of the wireless modem there. Hope you understand what I am saying.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody has asked what version of IE you're using, so I'll ask. Is it the latest (IE 8)? If so, have you tried resetting IE to its defaults (Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, hit the Reset button)? If that doesn't make it work, have you tried checking "Display all sites in Compatibility View" (Tools, Compatibility View settings, check the box)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to answer all the questions. I have not asked AOL for help. Hard talking to support when they do not speak english well (enough said) I an using IE8 and I have reset all defaults, nothing. I managed to download microsoft updates and for 30 seconds could get on IE. I needed to reboot and the problem was back. If I use Firefox?, what do I have to do with IE on my computer?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry about that, I just opened Firefox and I get nothing. I ask to go to aol.com, all it says is across the bottom in the lefthand corner done. At the top of the page it says UNTITLED. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
set it to Google.com and it still says done and untitiled, on the front page I hit Getting Started. Still says done in the bottom lefthand corner and Untitled at the top.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Have you unplugged your router for at least 30 sec., then plugged it back in (which reloads the router's internal software)?

Are you using cable broadband? If so, is your router coming off a splitter, and have you tried replacing the splitter? Just so happens that for the last 2 weeks, until Friday, I, too, was having trouble maintaining a connection; would drop out at random times during the day. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I also everything -- Internet AND digital phone, which also comes thru the cable. Since the phone and Internet cables both came off the same splitter, I replaced the splitter just to see what would happen. Voila!, everything now works. You'd think that splitters, which are simple solid-state devices would be immune to failure, but they're not.

Also, have you tried doing a system restore, back to at least a couple of days before the problem started?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to thank everyone who answered my thread, but ended up having to pay someone to come and look at my computer. Problem must have been bigger than I could fix because the tech was here for 3 hours. Looks like I just need to get a new computer, too much wrong with this one. Thanks again.

nancia13

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
You're welcome. It would be helpful for the forum community to know what the tech found was the problem. Other than a bad line (due to bad splitter) or a bad modem, the only thing I can think of is the Ethernet port on your motherboard. You can fix that by putting in a separate Ethernet card, which is a real cheap fix. Can't imagine what would take 3 hours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At one time my computer had crashed and just found out that not all the correct files were reinstalled correctly. He did work on my router but to be honest with you I have not idea what he did. He did tell me that my computer had multple things wrong with it and he got my IE on line. Sorry that I cannot provide you with more information. I will wait for the new revised vista to come out in October and get a new computer then. I hope that this computer last until then. Thanks again.

nancia13

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I forgot, the Tech did think that my AVG free was causing part of the problem. I uninstalled AVG but have not been able to install OneCare by Quest (my telephone service give it free to customers) I put AVG back on until I can install OneCare.

nancia13

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I forgot, the Tech did think that my AVG free was causing part of the problem. I uninstalled AVG but have not been able to install OneCare by Quest (my telephone service give it free to customers) I put AVG back on until I can install OneCare.
The "revised Vista" you refer to is Windows 7. . . but your description of it is probably accurate. You can buy a computer with Vista now and get the Windows 7 upgrade free.

However, Vista and Windows 7 are extreme examples of the thought process that has infected Microsoft, which is "damn the bloat, give 'em more bells, whistles, and glitz". Microsoft has abandoned the idea that the purpose of a computer is to get things done faster than you can with a typewriter, calculator, pencil/paper, etc.

You can also order a custom-built computer from companies like JNCS in Fairport, NY or Puget Custom Computers in Seattle, and they will put Win XP or Vista on the computer. Win XP is hands down the better OS (vs. Vista or Win 7) because it's not bloated.

Re your issue with AVG. AVG is OK, but not nearly as good as Avira AntiVir, which is also free. Why don't you try that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.