Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, everyone that ive talked to has advised me against this... But I didn't listen.
I used partition magic to make a new partition from which I could install another OS besides XP. The partition was made and activated, then I changed the boot order to run from the CD.
The CD booted and ran, the files said they were loading, up until it said Loading Windows. After this I get a message saying that no hard drives have been found and all I can do is restart... Is there a reason why its doing this, and how do I get around this?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Make/model of machine? SATA or PATA drive?

You may need to load a driver for the SATA drive (probably available at your machine or board's manufacturer's site).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a Dell XPS 400

They are two SATA HD's
would those drivers be on dells website? If so, how to you install them, I can't get to windows on my current PC cause the partition I made is active until I install the new OS

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Check Dell for the driver.

Why don't you just activate the other partition? You may even be able to access the driver if you copy it to the other drive, or load it's inf file to C:\Windows\Inf after checking the file for the driver locations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea how to do any of that. I can't get to anything because when I start up my PC it asks my for a valid CD then boots from it when I put it in.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
If you have a floppy drive, you can activate the partition usiong fdisk from a Win98 Boot Floppy.

Or you could make a CD: Windows 98SE boot CD image

Or use the SGD Boot Disk - This zip file contains both CD and floppy images. This boot disk can hide and unhide partitions, activate partitions, boot Windows or any other OS whether there is an MBR present or not, boot from a second drive, restore Windows boot (equivalent to fdisk /mbr or fixmbr), add or remove GRUB, restore LILO, live-swap drives and more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I have tried all of the programs you have suggested and haven't gotten any results.

I went to dell to see what SATA drivers they had and found one for my hard drive that said Urgent....I don't know if this is the right one, or how to install it...

When i run the OS's setup (booting from the CD) I says to press F6 to install 3rd party drivers, I tried that but it asks for a different disk that I don't have. So I still get a message saying that it cannot find any hard drives installed.

·
Super Moderator
16,195 Posts
So is this a 2nd XP you're trying to install ?

Have you got a Floppy drive ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes,
I went to Dell and put in my spec at the drivers download page. I clicked on SATA drives and got 3 different drives.
Intel - Application
Intel - Driver
Maxtor - Utility

Maxtor - utility is the only one that can be loaded onto a floppy drive, I dont know how to install it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.