Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found and downloaded a Nic driver for a dell computer that I had to formaty and reinstall XP on. Problem is when I got the file on a floppy and extracted it in the dell computer I cant figure out which folder to clic on or how to install it. can someone help me out here. I usually get the CD but they are out of town and I would like to have this set up and ready when they get back thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you downloaded an .exe file on the floppy. You should copy it to a folder on your C: drive such as C:\Driver. Run the program, then when you restart and get windows has found a new device PCI Ethernet controller, choose C:\Drivers as the path for windows to search.

·
Registered
52,785 Posts
What files are in the folder? Is there an exe or an inf file?

Generally, you go to Device Manager, right-click on the device and choose Update (or Properties and find Update if not XP), don't let it search automatically but direct it to the folder where you have the files.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no exe files in the folder it is a zip file with 21 folders in it. here is what they are: diag,help, Linux, mslanman .cos, ndis2, nwclient, nwserver, pktdrv, wfw311, win95, win95a, win98, win2000, winme, winnt40, winnt351 ,,helpme ms-dos application, help me mnu file, history text document,and inst8139 install.cfg, I cant find any that have exe in them

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the device manager I cant find it. also when I clic on connections it sees the network card but says " Network cable is unplugged" and the lights in the back are not on so that is why I am trying to reinstall it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You need to check the cables then. Even with the NIC card not properly set-up the lights should light up.

Device manager > right click my computer, properties, hardware tab, and device manager

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to admit that I have no idea what aI am looking for but there are no cables or wires connected to the nic card and there are no loose wires in the box at all. am I missing something?

·
Registered
52,785 Posts
I agree that if the NIC is getting power, it should light up, drivers or not.

Do you have file extensions visible? Go to Control Panel, Folder Options and iunder the View tab, uncheck the box about hiding file extensions. You won't be able to tell if you have an exe if you can't see it (What a horrible default setting that is!).

Home or Pro? In both, you can get to Device Manager by going to Start > Run, and typing:
sysdm.cpl
Then, that Hardware tab and Device Manager button.

Everest will give you all kinds of system information. See if it detects that card on the PCI bus.

http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

PCWizard 2004 is another system information tool that detects hardware on its own rather than relying on Windows' results:

http://www.cpuid.com/pcw.php

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elvandil thanks for hanging with me. I have the box open and I can see the nic card however there are no lights on it.it is plugged in and held with a screw and it is tightI dont see any cables hooked up to it or there is no place to plug anything in. I am not a hardware tech so if you have nay suggestions to help me I would appreciate it. I have no idea what to check from here. I found the device manager and the nic card shows up but the message is that a cable is unplugged.???

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elvandil I thank you for your help I just uninstalled it and let it find it and I now have a connection. thank you for your help

·
Registered
52,785 Posts
Great! That was easy. Good luck.

It looked like there was no XP driver in that folder, but 2k works sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.