Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone here knows of anything here on this specific video card cause i'm getting an upgrade to my current system to an AMD 3000 setup and this is the video card i could be going for Sapphire Radeon X550 PCIE 128M Hypermemory to 512M so if anyone can help me out with anymore details on it cause I tried google and all I get are price listings.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's gonna get light gaming use out of it... but if it doesn't cut out for me i'll possibly end up buying a 256 sized card... just right now i'm going for what i can get.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at the moment yes it's at the limit of my budget cause with the mobo an processor plus that vid card i've hit 260 an tax mind you also that's Canadian Funds. The games I would like to play on it are some of the newer FPS games, diablo,starcraft and some stratagie games... I can play Diablo and Starcraft right now but it lags out and I just don't wanna deal with it anymore !

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can try but no promise on my behalf : ( ... But wouldn't that card be well enough for just some light gaming for a start off and then when I want to get heavier into it just upgrade the card ?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Define 'Light gaming' ? :)

If you simply want the game to run, then yeah, maybe. The problem with newer games is that you'll need to run them at REALLY low settings. I don't know about you, but to me that kind of ruins the fun a bit.

Even with that 6600 card, you'll probably only get medium settings on games like Doom 3 or Call Of Duty 2. It's up to you. I just hope you don't expect amazing things from a $50.00 video card. Unfortunately, good components come with a price. I struggled with an old FX 5200 card for over a year before I built my current system, and though it could play most of my games, it's a whole new experience now. And my rig is now considered 'low-end' by todays standards! :D But hey, that's okay, because to me, it's a blast to play on.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just want to run... i'm not into doing any extreme gaming at this point in time cause i really don't know what i want to play at this point in time.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
What kind of games do you like? I've played alot of game, and can probably reccommend a few that would be good fun on a mid-to-low range system.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well what I own for games right now are Starcraft box set and Diablo battlechest and Halo for PC ... I don't have much for thought of a game but I do like First Person Shooters. Very seldom i play C&C RA2 but that's extreme seldom.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
For FPS, go for the original Call of Duty. It's an intense game, but runs pretty well on older graphics cards. It's really well done.

Also, the Medal of Honor: Allied Assault series was one of my favourite shooters when it came out.

I've heard that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was an awesome game (it's kind of an RPG/FPS mix). I never played it, but the reviews were great.

Also, Battlefield 1942 is one of the all-time classics. Great multiplayer action, and can also be quite fun in singleplayer as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know I'll end up upgradeing to much larger an better card within time but all I can think of right now is that th current one I can be getting should do just fine right ?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It'll do the job, but not much else. Save your pennies for a major upgrade in a few months. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.