Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My roommate's computer is infected with [email protected]!cp/. Norton has detected the virus in c:\windows\systems\sysformat.exeopenopen and quarantined it, but the computer is unable to resume normal function. It keeps hanging and cannot do live update. What can we do now?

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi telecom69, thanks for your advice. we've tried to run both spypot and ad-aware a couple of times but they stopped mid-way and couldnt get through. the computer is very slow. we have to wait a million years for a response. it also can't shut sown naturally. my computer shares the same isp with my roommate's via router, will there be any chances that my computer will be contaminated as well?

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
According to the McAfee write up of this latest version;http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/Print131353.htm this worm will attempt to stop your security programs from working. The file identified and quarantined by Norton is, apparently, the virus/worm itself!.

Subject to what the online scans find (if they work), has your friend tried using NAV Intelligent Update to get the latest definitions. It might just work where Live Update wouldn't?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi guys, we finally cleared the w32.beagle worms! the key is running the housecall scan. after deleting all 275 infected files found by the online scan, we managed to run the beagle removal tool as well as the ad-aware. before the housecall scan, the computer hanged whenever we tried to run these tools. thanks for your help :)

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Hey great news !!! glad we were able to help :D :up:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.