Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a refurbished IBM T40 laptop. I don't remember dropping it, but each time I move slightly if I am not working on a hard surface, the system freezes with a bunch of multi colored lines. Sometimes vertical or horizontal or mixed. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
It's generally not a good rule of thumb to move a laptop while it's running actually. Also, since you mention NOT A HARD SURFACE....where exactly are you running it? On your lap? On something nice and warm and fuzzy? Like a carpet?

·
Super Moderator
16,202 Posts
It could be overheating, does this happen when it's moved but got better air circulation as on a hard flat surface ?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Post #5 contradicts post #1. Which is it?

Also, it's called a laptop, but it's not wise to run it while it's sitting on your lap. It needs better airflow or will overheat and produce the results you mention.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the system again later. I noticed when I first turned it on and moved around a little nothing happened. After about an hour and a half the system began to heat and I started having problems with the multi colored lines and then freezed.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
It's overheating.

More than likely, you'll either need to open it up and clean the cpu fan (and other fans) and/or take it to a shop and have them do it for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.