Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to purchase Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32-bit next week. However, I was thinking, is it worth me purchasing the 32-Bit version or the 64-bit version? My system specs are:-

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2x 2.67 4Mb 1066 MHz
Asus Striker Extreme 680i
4x 1GB Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800 PC2-6400
2x 500GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA-II
XFX Geforce 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

I read in this review http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista.asp that Vista will offer good backwards compatibility for both hardware or software, however it is said that the 64-bit versions will have some nasty suprises in them. For instance, the 64-bit versions will have many application problems because they either won't install or work correctly and also to take full advantage of the 64-bit versions, your system would require more than 4GB of RAM and applications which have been especially written to access that much memory!

It is said that the 32-bit versions are much worth while than the 64-bit versions because not only is the compatability very good on the 34-bit version, but software compatability is also much better on the 32-bit version rather than the 64-bit. So for now, I am leaning towards purchasing the 32-bit version, however I am still not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions or views about this subject?

(P.S) Just so I can be sure, does anyone know if the Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2x 2.67 4Mb 1066 MHz is a 64-bit processor, I am sure it is, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion about it.

Thank You.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Well first of all, you aren't purchasing Vista until at least the 29th of this month when it is released commercially. At this point you are better off buying the 32 bit version becasue of the backwards compatiibility and the aviabilbility of more programs and especially drivers.
From evertyhing I have read and heard, 32 bit programs run better and faster on a 32 bit machine than on a 64 bit machine

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I have to agree, I originally installed the 64 bit version, but many drivers and applications were not compatible. I dropped back to the 32 bit version, and all is well.

I'd give the 64 bit version some time to "age" before considering it. :)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Do you really need 4 gigs of ram for the 64 bit version?

bigk :)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Nope. When I had it running here, it ran fine with 2gigs, but with all the incompatibility issues, I figured it wasn't worth the effort. I don't think the memory requirements are all that different than the 32 bit version.

·
Registered
469 Posts
What would you recommend? I think I may get either 2 or 4 gigs. I'm more leaning towards 2 gigs because of the money factor but if I get 4 gigs I will have plenty for any thing I do.

Bigk :)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
IMO, there's no reason on earth to go for 4gigs to run a normal application mix with Vista. It runs fine with 1gig, and I'm swimming in memory with 2gigs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.