Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago, my father, thinking he could "make my PC work better", installed a program called, unpromisingly, "PC Fixer" off of CNET. For months, I was very upset at my father for installing a program without my permission on my private computer. He apparently used my system as a "guinea pig" to see if the program would work on his computer, which he has installed dozens of registry cleaners on (I wonder why his computer barely works? Hmmm....). I have yet to remove it because the program did multiple things with my computer to "make it run faster" and I am barely sure how to undo these changes. The program looks slightly shady, but I have contacted CNET, and they have told me it is a legitimate, working software and not a FinallyFast-esque scam, but I am still largely convinced that many issues I have had with my computer since early August have something to do with this program sitting on my computer. Since then, I have password protected my computer, as if to stop a small child from accessing my computer while not away.

Anyway, when he ran it, it disabled autoplay on my CD-ROM. Without autoplay, installing certain computer games becomes impossible. I "undid" the change in the program months ago, and yet, I still see no Autoplay whenever I stick a CD or USB drive into my computer.

Today, I went into the PC Fixer program and tried to find a way to undo other items, but the specific tab in the program that allows me seems to just load and do nothing now.

Is there a way, inside of Windows XP, to physically restore Autoplay?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aha! Success! I went into the PC Fixer program and re-enabled Autoplay for a second time.

I have looked on the website of the company that makes it - which is generically called "Digital Support" - and I found precious few information on removing undesired changes.

Aside from disabling Autoplay, which I do not understand why such an option would be desired, the rest of the things this program does seem to be vaguely, but legitimately helpful things. I still rather dislike that something was installed without my permission, but I suppose i'll let it sit for another month and hopefully it doesn't disable Autoplay again whenever it does that.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Unless that utility has overarched or disabled certain Windows Registry settings - in which case uninstall it - you should still be able to right click the drive in My Computer, go to Properties and Autoplay then set whichever options you wish for differing disk content types.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.