Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can turn autorun off on any drive by editing

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoDriveTypeAutoRun

if it doesn't exist, add it as a DWORD, and set it in this way:

As a binary value, each set bit (1 as opposed to 0) turns autorun off, so a value of 0x0000000000001000 turns off drive D

Me, I've got the whole lot turned off!

Ian

·
Registered
637 Posts
Open WMP , goto 'tools/options/file types' and uncheck all the things you don't want it to do.

i.e. Music CD playback

PP

·
Super Moderator
43,953 Posts
I wouldn't advise changing ANYTHING in the registry if you are unsure.

As for the WMP, go into the options or preference screen. Under File Types, uncheck CD Audio. This is from memory.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
In Win 98 go to device manager and double click the CD-ROM drive. Under the settings tab uncheck “Auto Insert Notification”. Your CDs won’t autoplay.

·
Super Moderator
43,953 Posts
it is :D I forgot about that too. It's been a while since I used Windows 98. Bear in mind that if you turn off the Auto Insert Notification, that means that ALL CD's will not autoplay. You will need to manually start the cd by ging to My Computer and double click on the icon (or right click and select autoplay)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to confirm that "Auto Insert Notification" did the trick! Thanks to all :)

Tidus4Yuna:
"that means that ALL CD's will not autoplay. You will need to manually start the cd by ging to My Computer and double click on the icon (or right click and select autoplay)"

That's exactly what I want. I hate these things that pop up automaticaly, always when you don't want.

·
Super Moderator
43,953 Posts
:) I hear ya. In Windows XP you can decide what type of CDs do what, ie music cd to play in WMP, blank CDs to open Nero etc...

:up: OK well you're good to go! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.