Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i made a table in ms word.
but i want to convert this table into execl sheet for data analysis.
only copy/cut from ms word and paste into execl sheet are not working as the whole table comes into one cell of the execl sheet and it doesn't serve my purpose to analyse the data.
the volume of the data is huge and re-entry into execl sheet takes lot of time.
is there any solution to convert this ms word data into execl sheet.
its urgent.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
You should be able to copy and paste.

Select the table and nothing else, then copy then into excel and paste.

However OBP's suggestion is also fine, however it will take away the formatting that applies in Word and convert it to your default font style and size in Excel.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Villan, as the op says for some reason ordinary "Paste" pastes the whole table as an "Object" rather than putting the data in to the cells?:confused:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Not sure how big this table is, but you can have a spreadsheet embedded in your Word document with all the functionality of Excel

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
Just out of interest, when I create a table in word, select it, copy, then paste in Excel, I get the table brought across as the individual cells?

Is there an Excel option that would stop this from happening?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Not in mine OBP I have just done it and then summed up the cells.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
WhitPhil
When you paste into excel, you select Edit Paste Special, MicrosoftWord Object

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
The Villan said:
WhitPhil
When you paste into excel, you select Edit Paste Special, MicrosoftWord Object
Yes, you could do it that way.

But, if you just do a normal copy/paste the data comes across from the Word table into individual cells.

Which does not appear to be happening in the case of the debjitmandal.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
WhitPhil said:
Just out of interest, when I create a table in word, select it, copy, then paste in Excel, I get the table brought across as the individual cells?

Is there an Excel option that would stop this from happening?
How ironic, were trying to help debjitmandal get his data to not go into a single cell, and WhitPhil wants to get his into a single cell :eek:

I think it would still help if we the document, so we can see why it won't do what she wants.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Yes I know and that may well have something to do with an option hidden somewhere deep in the bowels of Microsoft that pastes it as an object

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
Ziggy1 said:
WhitPhil...have you tried double clicking into the cell and then pasting?
?? Don't understand?

The OP stated that they created a table in word, copy/pasted it to Excel and the entire table went into a single cell.

And, I am explaining that I just did, in Word, Table, Insert Table and created a 5x2 table
Filled it with the numbers from 1 to 10
Selected all the table, copy
Went to Excel, selected a cell, paste

And it filled 5x2 cells with the numbers from 1 to 10.

So, for me it appears to work fine, but differently for the OP!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
It is debjitmandal that is getting a different result, I get the same as you. My pasted table appears just like it does in word when pasted to a "Selected" cell.

what I said in Post #13 was if you double click into the cell, it pastes the entire contents into a single cell. So in everything we are all talking about clarification should be made as to how the cell is selected prior to pasting.

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
Well, as least we are "sort of" back on the same page.

When you "double click" into the cell, you mean double click in the Excel cell, and then paste?

Yeah, just did that and get all the table into a single cell.

Perhaps that is what the OP is actually doing?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Ziggy1 I see what you are saying and you may well have hit it right on the head. We obviously need debjitmandal to confirm that he/she might have been in the edit mode when pasted. If its that, then problem solved.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The quote from OBP was
""Villan, as the op says for some reason ordinary "Paste" pastes the whole table as an "Object" rather than putting the data in to the cells? ""

OBP is not talking about double clicking the cell. So clarification is also needed from OBP

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Or resigned from the job LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.