Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I hope the title makes sense. When I export it out of the system at work it doesnt even get a file extension. This is what makes me call it a "flat" file if that makes sense.:confused: Anyways, I need to convert this to a .csv file. I am using MS Excel 2002 and its not giving me the results im looking for. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
By "flat file," I am afraid I don't really know what you mean. Pipe delimited (That is, separated by " | ")?
No delimiters at all (just a plain text file - whether it is called .txt or not)?
Or the traditional flat file, where there is just one item per line?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that. I was told it was a flat file. I questioned it to. Windows doesnt know what program to associate it with. It will open in notepad so I guess that would make it a .txt file (?). Then I open excel and try to import external data and step thru the wizard. This is where it is not separating where I need it to.
*Im thinking when its getting exported out of the system its the way it is set up to export. Dont know if this helps.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Flat files were traditionally a format used by UNIX systems. If you can't figure it out - I would open it in Notepad first - email me via my profile and I will write you back and perhaps help you directly (I am assuming you don't want to post the file here - if you can, however, do that instead).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slurpee, Thanks for the help. Instead of figuring out how to convert the data I get from the system, I bit the bullet and figured it would be better to learn it by exporting it in the .csv file I need to begin with. I was trying to just find an easier way, but this really is the best way. Thank you again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.