Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my os is windows xp. i have opened a folder where all my personal files are kept. now i want to give password to that folder so that no unauthorize person can access that files.

pls help. it is urgent.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi and Welcome to TSG!
Ok there are two ways to do this.
The first method is only recommended if only you use the account you are on, and everyone else has their own accounts.
This method is to go to start > my computer
When it opens, go to tools, folder options, then click on teh view tab. When the list appears, make sure that the radio button next to show hidden files and folders is checked, then click apply / ok.
Then double click on C: > then documents and settings > then right click on your usernames folder and click properties. Then click on the sharing tab, and tick the "make this folder private".
This will make your folder private from every other user account.

Method number two is to make it a compressed folder (however this is not recommended for the users profile folder, and only individual non system folders.)
Once you have made the folder a .zip file, or put it into one, double left click on it, then go to file, and click on add a password.

Hope this helps
Kind Regards
Anthony

·
Super Moderator
65,526 Posts
can you do this if you are the only user on the XP PC - but once in a while other people use your account very rarely - so dont want to have any other accounts on PC

hope this is not a hijack - just same question

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Third option, and probably the safest, as long as you remember the password....

CRYPTAINER

"It's powerful 128 bit encryption, creates multiple 25 MB encrypted containers (vaults) on your hard disk. These encrypted vaults can be loaded and unloaded when needed. You can view, modify and hide all types of files with a single password." (c. www.cypherix.com).

Oh, and it's free for the LE version....and 25Mb will hold a LOT of documents.

Scorp.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Make sure all the other users on the machine have limited accounts and they can not get inot your Folders, or use the built in Windows Encryption tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.