Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for an auto dealer and would like to scan a credit application on my scanner and take the application and put it on my screen and use word or whatever program to fill in the fields. Can some one help me and tell me how to do this or if it can be done

Michael

·
Registered
885 Posts
tc3125 said:
take the application and put it on my screen and use word or whatever program to fill in the fields.
Michael;
Not sure if this is the final answer-- but it seems to me that the scanning part isn't really the difficult part of making the form available on a screen to fill in. (Nor, necessarily the part I'd worry about, since you are not talking about a lot of forms.)

Recently I was faced with something similar-- a form that really, in my opinion, needed more spreadsheet capabilities that anything (but I wanted it to look like a WORD document).

True, the OCR software that came with your scanner probably does a more or less acceptable job (with editing). However, since I wanted the ability to do some spreadsheet actions on the information, I used my trusty FREE OpenOffice Calc program and fed in the text I wanted into the available cells. I was then able to enter the formulas needed into their respective cells.

This approach does take a little longer because I wanted it to look like a WORD document to the viewer (as well as looking well on paper) so I would use the printpreview to keep track of things-- but once the form was produced I could use it on screen or paper, as well as sending files where needed. After the calculations were approved, printed copies could be produced for signature. It was really helpful in my application--- but frankly, I did end up editing the original document to make it work as I wanted--- but now it works great!

Feel free to use or not-- but good luck in your project,
letchworth

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Michael sent me a sample of what he wants .. and a high resolution scan of the document he has.
What he wants, looks something like an auto fill IRS 1040 form (in pdf) … But it in a Word.doc format.

I didn’t even know this could be done in a Word document.

The problem with an OCR program is that it has to look at the Image and try to read it.
This usually works great on Images like magazine articles with simple formatting and maybe even pictures.

A Word.doc, like Michael wants, has all sorts of special “tricky” formatting that can’t be determined just by “looking” at the image.

Even though I used the Abbyy professional Reader .. on the Document Image he wants ..
It can’t determine all the hidden formatting tricks used, or needed, but not illustrated in the Scanned image.

Maybe a real Word expert could reconstruct the document with the pieces Abbyy could read ..
(Like all the Legalize wording) … and put into a Word format … but that’s not me.

Now I’m curious ... Is there a simple way to take a scanned image of a form and add some text auto fill ???

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Michael,

Can you or Noyb post the document so we can take a look? What is stopping you from creating your own custom document with a similar layout and look of the existing application? You could create the document very easily with fillable fields such as textboxes or form fields from the forms toolbar.

Another options could be to create a data entry form that pops up that would allow you to fill in the necessary info in one place and then click a button or run a macro to transfer all the entered info from the form into the application or contract. This is exactly what I did for my rental applications and rental contracts.

BTW....If the document is converted to Adobe PDF, you can use Adobe writer to add text form fields which allow you to enter info directly into the PDF.

Regards,
Rollin

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
I can host the Docs n Images in my home page ... with Michael's permission.
Might be some legalities involved here.

If I was an EXPERT with Word ... I would be able to re-create it.
I've already fixed some of the really simple stuff.

I can make the Image a pdf using Cutepdf .. if that helps.

Here's a Short Screen shot sample of the Word.doc in the format he wants ... the gray areas are text fill-in-ables.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Using Adobe is definately your easiest option. The newer versions of Adobe include a typewriter tool which allow you to type over any part of an existing PDF document. Creating the PDF of the application is very easy. Do you have Adobe Writer or would you be willing to get it?

Rollin

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Thanks for the typewriter tips ... I didn't know that.
All this pdf stuff is new to me .. but as near as I can figure ..
The typewriter tool won't work in my Reader 8.0 unless the pdf has the typewriter rights enabled.

I've managed to create a pdf from the High resolution scan Michael set me .. and enabled the typewriter tool.
I've sent him a copy .. until something better can be figured out.
Sure wish I knew how to use my Acrobat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there is really nothing stopping me from making one from scratch other than the fact that I dont really know how. If I knew how to make all the lines and putting in writing that doesnt get deleted and have some fields thrown in If I knew how to do this I would just make one from scratch but I dont know how

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
Maybe there's another way.
There's another program called "Foxit Reader 2.0" that will let you View and Type-on a pdf form.
The basic software package is free ...
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

But you'll need the $39 upgrade to be able to Save/Print it without it being Stamped as Edited by Foxit.

I'll edit the basic form to make it easier to type on .. such as removing the individual SSN number columns ...
And put in some sample text .. so you can edit it .. and for some ideas.

If you want to get the free Foxit Reader ... you can play with the program and see if you like it.
If you like it .. Then you could get the $39 add on.

You could make a "master file" (such as adding X's in the boxes) and dealer name/number.
The X's in the boxes would be easier to delete than add.

Let me work on this .. I'll Email a sample pdf to play with in Foxit ... a little later.

There's a similar conversation going on here... http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/534266-solved-pdf-form-fillers.html#post4343229

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.