Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a file and printer sharing network with the computers in my house. after a few problems with firewall settings the file sharing worked fine now I can't share files either way with either computer. i get a " you might not be have permission to use this network resource. " Error message. I haven't changed any settings so why isn't it working now?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : FIXANON.REG
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be FIXANON.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I will need some assistance here. I have opened notepad, how do I create the file?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
In John's post highlight the three lines between the dashed lines. Hit Ctrl + C

Click in the Notepad window. Hit Ctrl + V

Follow John's instructions for naming/saving the file.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did that , now the other computer doesn't show up in My Network Places.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
You should do it on each of the PCs that are denying network access.

After any change to the network (rebooting the PC causes it to leave the network and then rejoin) it can take up to 15 minutes for the Computer Browser service to get all the computers updated with the correct workgroup info.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt for the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can ping both computers from both computers using the ip address. I can only ping each computer by its own name but cannot ping the other computer by name. All the services you listed are set as you recommended. I disabled both firewalls and was still unable to access the other computer and then I uninstalled both firewalls and the results were the same. From my computer I get the no permission message from my son's computer I get a message that ****(workgroup name) is not accessible.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both Computers are running Sunbelt Personal Firewall
I had disabled Windows Firewall on both computers a while ago. When I reinstalled the Sunbelt Firewall I get a message that Windows Firewall had blocked it. Windows Firewall had been enabled on both computers. How did this happen? I know I didn't do it and no one else in the house would think to do it.
Another thing. I ran the network setup wizard again on both computers just to make sure all the settings were the same. Now I can't ping Computer #1 from Computer#2 and vice versa using ip address or the computer name.
What changed to cause this?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
When you uninstall many 3rd party firewalls, they turn the Windows firewall on by default.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It will turn it on even if it is disabled in services?
What about the other stuff? why can't I ping the other computer now?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The reason I keep harping on the firewall is that's almost the only reason for failure to ping.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I should uninstall the firewalls again and make sure Windows firewall is disabled and then try to ping? What I don't understand is why,if I had it working once ,file sharing that is, did it stop working when as far as I know there were no changes made to the firewall settings.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK I uninstalled the firewalls and disabled windows firewalls and I can share files now.
Don't most wireless routers have a firewall? Is this enough?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
All routers have a "natural" firewall (NAT layer) that protects against incoming attacks. Some also have another firewall for more and better protection. The Windows XP SP2 (and I assume SP3) and Vista firewalls also work perfectly well against incoming attacks, and will not interfere with enabled file and printer sharing. I keep mine running, and when using my XP laptop on a public network I change the firewall setting to "No exceptions." That prevents access to my folders/files.

Use a 3rd party firewall iff (if and only if) you believe in trying to protect against outgoing attacks or need the finer degree of control usually allowed (e.g., only allow access from some of the other computers on your LAN).

Please mark this 'Solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everything is working fine now. I am using Windows firewall instead of Sunbelt. Thanks for the help. I have another issue but Iwill start a new thread for that

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.