Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
79,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, here's the deal. My wife is beginning a home business, and we aren't going to go full blown and drop a few grand on getting it set up. She purchased a 'smart business pack' by a company called avanquest, and paid about $30 bucks for it. While there were other items in this category and price range (category is home biz stuff; making lables, invoices, mailing lists, legal forms, the works) there is a big gap to the next level, which starts at well over $100. I"m going to check out the software before we install it, make sure it's good enough to do what it's supposed to do without any undue effort on her part, but has anyone heard of any other software for these kind of applications?

I know you can create your own with Office, but again, she isn't in the business of creating templates; she wants them pre-created and she just needs to fill in the blanks and change a few colors here and there. Personally, I htink this stuff will work fine for what she is using it for (it comes with a wi-fi manager, which I think I will disable post haste), but other than that, I think that this will do the job.

any input is welcome, basically curious if anyone knows of any good freeware apps that do the same thing.

here's the product:

http://www.avanquestusa.com/products/mysoftware/smart_bus_pk.asp

tia,

v

·
Super Moderator
79,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dang, ace, thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, we looked at quicken, but that would be sort of like giving your grandmother a ferrari; yes, she will use it, but only to about a millionth of it's potential. She doesn't need all the fancy stuff that quicken does YET; she most likely will in the next couple years as her business grows, but for now, this is just the learning phase, which is why we are not going to spend a lot on this.

·
Registered
329 Posts
have you looked for any free software: zdnet.com downloads is a favorite spot of mine to find software. if not, I'd say keep the $30 program you have and just wing it in word or excel to customize what you need.

·
Super Moderator
79,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's what I'm leaning towards; I've read nothing but good reviews on the software, and it's pretty much what we are looking for (the reviews say that it's not the best, but it definitely isn't the worst) and for someone who will be printing out sub 50 invoices a month, maybe some checks, no business cards, I think it will do fine.

That wifi thing though is not going on. :)

·
Super Moderator
79,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my thoughts exactly. :)

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
valis said:
my thoughts exactly. :)
You had mentioned Office. If you mean a professional version, and you already have it, then you may also have publisher which has a lot of templates. Also if you already have Office, MS has quite a few templates for download for either Word or Excel which will do what you have mentioned, even if we are talking about 97 Office. Auto number invoices etc... If you don't have it, why not look into what templates are available for Open Office. When I do this sort of thing making my own templates, I don't save them to Offices' template folder. I make my own template folder in my docs. I find it easier this way.

·
Super Moderator
79,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
remember the end user here is my wife; she is good with windows, I wouldn't call her advanced at office though, and a lot of that stuff is for more advanced users. I know it comes with a lot of goodies (see it at work enough) but I think this is more the speed we are looking for. But yes, I do have office xp, and it's loaded with stuff, and I can always update and get the rest. I had originally mentioned that, but as she came home with the software something is telling me she isn't too comfy using it.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Another tool MS has that most probably don't have is the office assistant. Most useful paperclip I have ever seen. lol Oh well, to each their own, if she doesn't like it, no point trying to push it.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Valis, I would have offered to build you an Access database to do this, but it would have taken time.
But if at any time you think you might want to go down that route just let me know.
It's main advantage is that it can grow with the business.

·
Super Moderator
79,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, for me, if I can't create it in excel, it's not worth my time. But for wife it's different. Did some reviews on the software she bought, seems pretty solid, so I'll install it for her, and once we get her a laptop, she can put whatever she wants on there. Gonna mark this one solved.

Thanks for all the ideas and offers; what I love about this joint.

v

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.