Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I've had my iMac for about one month now and I love it. When I got it I just turned it on and it booted up I filled in name etc. and all seemed fine. Anyway I noticed with the iWork software you have to enter a serial number to activate it and I have my two CDs that came with the Mac here is the number on one of these. My second question if I put in these CDs can I get the iWork software on its own or will I need to install Mac OS again and put my CDs pictures onto my Mac again?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My first idea would likely have the moderators come down upon me for usurping their duties, but, for future reference, bumping your own topic in a 30-minute period is bad form, and will not prove assistive to your quest. If I have overstepped my bounds I apologize. I offer this info not as a means of chasization, but in hopes that future queries will be realistically posted. This is a free service, offered by fellow users. If we have an answer and have the time to post it you'll quickly find the answer(s) you seek. If not you may have to wait until one of those criteria is met.

Second, there is no guarantee that the computer you purchased included iWork as bundled software. There might have been a trial version included, but if it had been included you would likely not be asked for a serial number.

Third, your best bet is to contact Apple with your question. Be prepared to provide the serial number for your Mac (retrievable from the "About this Mac" menu item under the Apple menu), date of purchase, and any other information they may require. Don't expect an answer within 30 minutes, though (unless you are making a phone call to them--which if this is a brand-new computer you can easily make for no extra charge--but even then there might be a wait until an operator can come available).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cal UK said:
Hi there I've had my iMac for about one month now and I love it. When I got it I just turned it on and it booted up I filled in name etc. and all seemed fine. Anyway I noticed with the iWork software you have to enter a serial number to activate it and I have my two CDs that came with the Mac here is the number on one of these. My second question if I put in these CDs can I get the iWork software on its own or will I need to install Mac OS again and put my CDs pictures onto my Mac again?
All of the iMacs sold in the US come with a iWork trial version, so you will have to buy the regular version of iWork.

The discs you got with the iMac are to reinstall the system if necessary.

The iMac probably came with a full version of iLife.

If you use the system recovery discs, you will have the option of reinstalling OSX over the existing installation, and should not lose any user data. You will also have the option of erasing the hard drive first, and starting over.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Likely not. What you have is probably the aforementioned trial version. Still, sending a message to Apple itself will provide the definitive answer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You do this by going into "Thread Tools" up near the top of the screen and selecting "Mark Solved".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.