Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've received two gifts, a Cannon camera and Maxtor One Touch III external hard drive...my computer won't recognize either....here are pictures of what I get when trying to install the hard drive, the same thing happens with the camera.

I'd appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

·
Registered
678 Posts
:eek:
OK...
A lttle more explanation please. Just run bitdefender and ewido? So you think it's a SPY problem? She doesn't show it but, she has and updates NOADWARE and A-SQUARED. Also...from time to time, I have her run Trend Micro's on line free.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
jparr111 said:
:eek:
OK...
A lttle more explanation please. Just run bitdefender and ewido? So you think it's a SPY problem? She doesn't show it but, she has and updates NOADWARE and A-SQUARED. Also...from time to time, I have her run Trend Micro's on line free.
Yes I would run the ones I suggested, definitely so.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
And if you have Spybot SD and Ad-Aware SE Personal, I'd run them as well!

Do you have an antivirus?

If so, update that, as well as Spybot SD and Ad-Aware SE Personal if you already have them...(If not, download then update, then scan.)

·
Registered
678 Posts
LitomoSilver said:
And if you have Spybot SD and Ad-Aware SE Personal, I'd run them as well!

Do you have an antivirus?

If so, update that, as well as Spybot SD and Ad-Aware SE Personal if you already have them...(If not, download then update, then scan.)
LitomoSilver...
Her sig shows what she has. And yes. Updated regularly(daily). Her AVG runs every night.
This has been a problem since she got the camera(Canon) in July. Even with the CD her computer argues.
I'm thinking it's a technical thing versus a virus/spy thing.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yeah...my bad for not noticing.

Okay, if it's technical...you plug both the camera and hard drive via what connections?

IF it's by USB, try replacing the drivers for them.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes USB.
How do you replace the drivers for the USB's? I think we may be on to something.
Is this where you do it from? And which to do? This is mine. I'll have her post hers.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I've moved you to the hardware forum; this is not really my strong area.

But is the Maxtor drive detected on restart -- do you see it in the Device Manager or My Computer regardless of the Add Hardware wizard? I'm not sure it requires drivers.

And as for the Camera -- it should also be detected and recognized regardless of any Canon driver install.

But if you have the Canon driver setup -- run that before connecting the camera.

By the way, if when connecting one of these devices -- the "new hardware" wizard detects it and wants to install a driver for it -- but cannot find it -- point it to:

c:\windows\INF

This assumes 'c' is your boot drive.

this is a "hidden" directory and you must have "show hidden files" selected in Folder Options > View to see it.

But you should NOT normally have to install one of these devices by going through the Add Hardware wizard.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi Rog...
No. Maxtor does not show up in MY Computer when connected. (That familar sound when new hardware is connected does happen.) Haven't tried restarting the computer with Maxtor hooked up though. Will try that.

Same thing with the camera. Just will not recognize it.

"point it to:"...how do you do that? Yes it is "c".

I know she shouldn't need the "Add Hardware Wizard"...that's why I had her post here.
Wierd:confused:

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Do restart the computer a couple of times with the devices connected -- I have sometimes needed to do this when first connecting hardware.

... well I suppose it could be a USB issue -- although you don't seem to have any problems in the Device Manager key shown.

Does the Maxtor drive show up in Disk Management (run diskmgt.msc ) ?

You can try a "USB cleanup".

First run System Restore and create a restore checkpoint -- you may need it; test to ensure it works.

Then follow JohnWill's directions here, except I have uploaded the registry patch for you --- just unzip it and merge it to the registry:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/449735-usb-problem.html#post3435808

When you reboot the New Hardware Wizard should automatically run and reinstall the drivers for USB devices -- however if you are prompted for a location for drivers you need to point it to c:\window\INF

If you have new USB problems after doing this -- run System Restore.

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks Rog...
I'll her have do it. BUT AGAIN...what does "point it to c:\window\INF" mean?? Without knowing that, no way am I going to have her unzip anything...lol.
Humor...gotta have it when it come to computers.

And by the way...
diskmgt.msc no worky.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
jparr111 said:
Thanks Rog...
I'll her have do it. BUT AGAIN...what does "point it to c:\window\INF" mean?? Without knowing that, no way am I going to have her unzip anything...lol.
Humor...gotta have it when it come to computers.

And by the way...
diskmgt.msc no worky.
I have no idea where you got that quote from, but it wasn't from my USB cleanup procedure.

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi John.
I'm working with Beachgal trying to solve this problem.
It might be tomorrow before we can follow your instructions. She lives in Maryland and the Ravens lost...lol.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I have seen a few cases where the device drivers do not get installed because the proper source path information is not present in the registry.

When that happens, the process does not complete automaticaly and the New Hardware wizard complains that it cannot find some driver. It will ask you to select or browse to a location.

If that happens, browse to the location c:\windows\INF which contains all the information (setup) files for these drivers. It should find what it needs there. If it doesn't you may be missing some usb inf files.

As I mentioned, this is a hidden directory and to find it you must have "show hidden files" enabled in Folder Options > View.

I always mention this in giving directions to save some grief -- and I have seen some tears when the USB devices do not get reinstalled.

>> Try diskmgmt.msc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.