Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Dell Dimension 4700, 1 TB SATA drive, running Windoes XP (sp3).

System failed to boot this morning (a blue screen I've never seen before), then on reboot, got to place where get to choose version of Safe Mode. Tried Safe Mode, and system rebooted itself back to same choices on Safe Mode. Tried Safe Mode with DOS, system rebooted back to same choices.

I ran a Seagate diagnostic utility (booted from the Seagate CD) and it came back with some error code, something like "Error Code 0F00:0244 MsgBlock 2913114 uncorrectable data error or media is write protected".

Dumb me, I don't have 2nd harddrive that is bootable. I do have CD drive that is bootable.

What's quickest cheapest way to analyze and potentially (hopefully) repair the problems on the harddrive?

thanks,
mm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a utility to download, that would boot from CD, burned the CD, booted, and analyzed disk. problem was bad sectors (4 to be precise - all in a row). Repaired, and back in business.

based on recommendations in other threads, installing Acronis True Image home 2011 and setting up to be prepared in future with images and backups.

thanks,
mm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.