Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a little problem with my main PC.

I have 2 Hard drives in. 80GB IDE and 320GB SATA Drive.

I only want the SATA drive in but when I take out my IDE drive the PC doesnt boot up, I get discboot failure and it says it cannt read any boot file.

I have Windows Installed onto the SATA Drive, which is D Drive.
When I go to 'msconfig' and go to boot.ini it loads the boot.ini from my Local Disc C which is my IDE. I need to make the PC load the boot.ini from my SATA Drive so I don't need my IDE Drive.

Anyone know what I can do.
Thank you to anyone who can help ^^

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, you have a problem, and the solution is probably going to involve a re-installation of Windows.

Your boot files are on the IDE, which is C:, and Windows is on another drive. When you move Windows to C:, it will fail.

There is no practical way to move a Windows installation to a different drive letter.

One idea.

You could partition the SATA drive with a small C: partition, and then the Windows partition using a partitioning utility like Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic. Clone the IDE partition to this new small partition, and then your Windows installation would remain at D:.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If you use a partitioning utility as I mentioned previously, you can slide the partitions over and stick a new primary partition in front on that drive. That will become C: and be the real boot partition. It'll contain the boot files, and can be as small as you can make it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could partition the SATA drive with a small C: partition, and then the Windows partition using a partitioning utility like Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic. Clone the IDE partition to this new small partition, and then your Windows installation would remain at D:.

I did this and it worked like a charm :D Thanks so much for your help! Saved me a bunch I didn't want to buy another hard drive for another PC I have. Thank you Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.