Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help anyone,
This should be simple but... . I want to use att.yahoo.com as my home page but Google keeps hijacking me. I have gone to Tools, Internet Options, changed from google to https://att.yahoo.com, clicked apply then OK and proceeded to surf. Coming back to my home page att is gone replaced by Google. What am I doing wrong?

Please help,
Jim

·
Registered
238 Posts
If it is google chrome , under settings you will see an option that says on startup, and below it is 3 options. Select open a specific page and then click set pages to see if it already has an option entered , if not enter yahoo.com

Hope this helps

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
Phantom,
No I don't have SUPERAnti Spyware installed. Should I have it installed? If so where do I go to get it?
Jim
I was only asking because SUPERAntiSpyware has a built-in Home Page Protection that you can enable or disable. If enabled, the Home page can't be changed.

If you don't have that program, no, you don't need to get it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weirdtoys,
No, its not Chrome, just plain vanilla Google which I'm starting to believe is in cahoots with Bing, which I can't get rid of. I've gone to Manage addons, clicked Search Providers but the Remove, or Clear, I've forgotten which it is, is grayed out. Won't work.
Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mtzlplex,
Went into Mozilla support, etc. Firefox crashed once while it was resetting my system. Its been almost 5 minutes since that crash so maybe it fixed itself. I went into the crash report and found what I suspected, they don't log in every crash. I've had several today and none of them are in the report.
Jim

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
mtzlplex,
Went into Mozilla support, etc. Firefox crashed once while it was resetting my system. Its been almost 5 minutes since that crash so maybe it fixed itself. I went into the crash report and found what I suspected, they don't log in every crash. I've had several today and none of them are in the report.
Jim
What do you mean by resetting your system? Didn't you reset (refresh) Firefox?

Like I suggested in your other thread, have you tried running Firefox in no add-ons mode?

How to Start Firefox in Safe Mode

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Phantom,
I clicked Refresh and it appeared that Firefox was taking control and refreshing me. That's when the crash occurred.

I'm in Firefox Safe Mode. Didn't know such a thing existed.

As I typed the last word, existed, I was kicked out of safe mode and got an apology note from Firefox that "this is embarassing" (can't spell) and was reset in plain Firefox. Back in Safe Mode, so far so good.

Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phantom,

I'm in good shape in the Safe Mode, no crashes, yet, in two days.

Got Maggie's computer back from the shop late yesterday. I'm trying to repopulate it with what was once there, so to speak. Present hang up is being able to get on line. Looking at my internet connection icon she has 4 out of 4 bars but I am unable to get the computer to "talk" to the network. Jim's computer has no problem getting on line and we use the same server. The confusing thing for me is the fact that it indicates there is a good connection.

Is this something you can advise on or should I open a new thread?

Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Phantom,

Belay my last, as they used to say in the navy a century ago when they wanted you to ignore their last comment. Any way, I called AT&T because the problem with Maggie's computer said that it was out of range of the router. The AT&T tech had me reset the router, reminder me where I could find my log in password and ... Shazam, its back to life. The tech said that when the computer repair shop went on line they probably used their own connection which for some reason blocked me.

I talked to him about my Firefox problem and he suggested I try Chrome as they, AT&T technical repair, find Chrome to be a more stable connection than either Firefox or IE. When the repair shop reloaded Windows, Chrome was automatically loaded. I was unable to get Firefox to load on Maggie's computer so she is now online with Chrome.

Thanks for your help and I will load Chrome on my system and forget about FF crashes.

Again THANK YOU for your help, going away now, hopefully for a long time.

Relieved and happy Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.