Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, a few days ago for the first time, I decided to make a clone of my C drive ( XP-SP3 ) onto my external hd. It was done with Norton Ghost. All went well it seems. Now, by an unpleasant coincidence, I have to install the clone, and I am at the step of not knowing how to do this. Do I delete the original C drive on my desktop and then install the clone in its place? In that way, would the clone be boot able? The original HD has only 10 GB's of free space, so I cannot add the clone to it. The external drive clone needs at least 28 GB. Would it be feasible to exchange drives, if so, again would that be boot able as a primary? BTW, I am assuming that the clone copied all those blue updates that shows up in Windows, or would I have to clone all those updates again? BTW, the hard drives involved are ide. Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...that link is for Ghost 15...mine like I said in my op is Ghost 14. Regardless, I checked that guide and I couldn't find anything about cloning...most of it seems to be about backups...are backups the same as cloning? I think not.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I doubt there is much difference between 14 and 15, but to do the restore of the clone you will have to free up enough space on the hard drive, preferably by formatting the entire drive.

What exactly has gone wrong that makes you feel you need to do this.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Either the Ghost 14 installation disk should be bootable, or there should be a link to the program in your Start menu under Ghost to create one. Then you would boot from that disk, and walk through the process to restore the image back to your drive.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
WOw it says 19 minutes to download and very large size...telll me why do I need this disc just to replace my C drive with the clone one?
This is the recovery disk you should have created. Burn it to disk, boot from it, and point it to the location of the image that you created and restore that image.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the Ghost forum and found out what may have caused my problem, to need to copy my C Drive. I found that Ghost, by default deletes cache files, temporary files and some other programs...Now, I can get on my browsers AOL, Firefox with no problem, but cannot get almost all of my exe files to open. I cannot use command prompt, system restore, or even some of my hot micro's. Never realized that these programs could create such problems just by trying to copy or clone a drive.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well could u tell me how to go about installing the image file? I have one made, but in the meantime i got so impatient waiting and trying different tactics that I just decided to reinstall my original disc but it was the one without sp2 or sp3. I do have those disc. Now after installing windows and I arrive at the log in where it asks for my password, I enter the same as before, but denied. Being a new installation, why would it ask me for my password? Specified domain either does not exit or could not be contacted....try again or consult system administrator A few years ago I had installed this same disc and never got that problem. Either way it says I'm screwed. Maybe i would have better luck with the image, but how can i get on my desktop, when it won't log me on?

·
Banned
171 Posts
You restore the Ghost image using the Ghost boot disk. That's either your Ghost installation disk or the restore disk you created after you installed Ghost. Boot from it, and select the Ghost image from the drive or disk where it's stored.

If you've reinstalled Windows XP from your original restore or installation disk, the Administrator account password is whatever you set it to when you installed Windows XP.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Try leaving the password box blank and just hit Enter without typing anything.

Have you used a retail copy of XP to do the re-install or the OEM disc supplied by the computer's manufacturer, what does it say on the disc.

Try the Ghost boot disc in another working PC and see if it will boot from it, check the Bios settings first.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was the oem disc, and i used this same disc about5 years ago, and never had this password issue, till now. I tried blank password and that didn't work.and still asks for the password. I am able to open with cd and tried to reinstall with another disc and it wouldn't start...maybe i have to delete windows first.

·
Banned
171 Posts
What changed between yesterday and today that you can now boot from the recovery disk and restore the image? You got past the part about not being able to boot from the disk, and how you have a question about an account password?

Since it's an image, you need to enter the same password that you set up when you created the image.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I would suggest you try running the OEM restore disc again after wiping the entire drive.

You didn't answer my question: "Try the Ghost boot disc in another working PC and see if it will boot from it" that will at least prove the disc will work.

Try making this boot disc and run a test on the hard drive, if this disc fails to boot the PC we may be looking for other problems. You can use this diagnostic disc to wipe the drive.

Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. You cannot use this software on a USB flash drive.

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rearden I can't explain why I was able to boot from the rescue disc...it just did this time but that did not end the problem. i got the following message .."SRE Shell.exe application error...Memory could not be read...Terminate...OK". I do have an image file, but I was talking about my latest attempt of having to reinstall my OEM XP disc, where after completed it asks me for my password. ..like it usually does when my system was working...so I entered that same password a hundred times and i get denied....I even left it blank as someone here suggested and it did not work...as far as the other image file i made with Ghost, i don't recall it asking me for a password,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.