Tech Support Guy banner


11375 Views 6 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Pluss1
Hi! I've had the same ISP and internet setup for about a year now and it has worked perfectly until now recently. For some reason I have started getting problems with the loading of pages in all my web browsers, on both PC (cable) and Mac (wireless). Page loading speeds are extremely slow, but when it succeeds to connect, the page pops up pretty fast.

There are mainly three different errors I am getting:


Any ideas about how to fix this? I have tried my Mac on other networks and it works like a charm.

Setup & specs:

I'm getting internet through my TV-antenna, so the Getbox II is connected directly with a TV-antenna cable. The Getbox II is a hybrid between a router, PVR and a TV-decoder. There is no modem between the Getbox II and the TV-antenna output. It looks like this:



Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192 MB RAM
Hard Drive: aprox 3TB Total
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5
Monitor: Acer S243HL LCD [24"]
Sound Card: ATI HDMI Output (ATI High Definition Audio Device)
Speakers/Headphones: Logitech Z-680 5.1 THX / Icemat Siberia Headset
Keyboard: Ideazon USB Zboard
Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Mouse Surface: SteelPad 5L
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
See less See more
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
First I would try the following and see if it resolves the problem. If not, we could try manually setting the GetBox/Computers to a different DNS server.

Powercycle (power off for at least a minute) the GetBox II (Assuming it does not have a battery backup)
Then flush the DNS on both the PC and Mac.
From a terminal/command prompt run the following commands for flushing the DNS.
dscacheutil -flushcache (for Mac)
ipconfig /flushdns (for PC)
Thanks a lot! I powered down the thing, booted it up again, did ipconfig /flushdns in CMD and dscacheutil -flushcache in Terminal. Everything works as it should now :).

It worked fine for a while, and it still does time to time, but it's getting slower. It looks like It's getting worse over time and I've got some "ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE" and DNS-errors already. My iPad Air and iPhone 4 doesn't have that much problems loading pages, though.

Any suggestions about which DNS server I should change everything to, how it should be done & etc @CoolBurn?
The below link has instructions on how to use Google's Public DNS for Windows and Mac. I would test this out to see if it corrects the problem. If so, we may need to look at changing the settings on the GetBox itself.
I just switched the DNS on my Mac and it has never worked so well as it does now. Pages are loading instantly.
Switching DNS to Google Public DNS on my computers seems like the best solution, since Get doesn't allow you to make changes to the DNS on the Getbox II. Thanks for helping me CoolBurn, and damn you Get for having the most useless DNS and tech service! I hope this thread solves the issues others might have with this ****** Norwegian cable & internet provider.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Not open for further replies.