Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a beast of a machine:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core w/2GB RAM and 320GB storage.

Of course, Windows XP Pro does not make use of the 64bit platform as it should, while XP Pro x64 Edition doesn't permit 100% compatibility with my existing software requirements.

Thus, my question about Vista.

I have a free upgrade to Vista x64 when published. At the time I receive the platform and get it installed, will it:

Provide better support for non-64bit applications (i.e. more closely support those apps that cannot be converted to 64bit until a much later time)?

The real question is: How "alike" is the Vista 64bit platform to the 32bit release; and are the products compatiable between both?

This is critical, since much of what I do is based on my telecommuting to work. The connectivity uses Nortel VPN with a wrapper provided by my organization. The wrapper provides the site address and sign in authentication to the network during connection to my Corporate Network. It specifically uses https: to connect, set user id/password, then control data to lauch the Nortel VPN "hand-shaking" data so that Nortel establishes its compression/encryption/tunnelling packets to our network.

However, the wrapper is currently incapable of recognizing the current version of several base MS applications provided with the OS when attempts to install it on the x64 platform is carried out.

My organization is releasing a new Vista capable wrapper and Nortel release in support of a corporate wide deployment of Vista. However, the deployment is aimed at the 32bit platform.

Thank you in advance for your response.

- Jim

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
There are a number of issues with both XP-64 and Vista-64, principally being in low level stuff like drivers and security products. I initially installed Vista 64 bit, but when it became obvious that many devices wouldn't have drivers, I dropped back to the 32 bit version.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems to be what plagues the XP Pro x64 Edition.

Any hope that by the time that the GA becomes available mid-year, the x64 or even the x32 versions will have improved? I've not heard anything from either MS or my Company.

·
Registered
446 Posts
New hardware should have both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers for Vista. Manufacturers and software developers cannot use the Vista logo unless they support 64 bit Vista. They don't have to support 32 bit but they do have to support 64 bit in order to use the logo. For old hardware it's hard to say. There is an expense involved in getting 64 bit drivers signed and Vista 64 bit won't use unsigned drivers.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'm betting that older hardware will never see 64 bit drivers. This is the normal pattern you see. Manufacturers have very little incentive to create drivers for obsolete hardware, there's no profit motive. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
why didnt m$ just make vista 64bit only? they couldve spent more resources specificly on it instread of 32 bit plus alot more vendors would create 64 bit drivers...i do like the force signing driver idea too, but they wont do it if they have the option of just doing 32 bit driver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.