Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to use the Roxio Drag-To-Disk application on my XP computer but it will not work with Vista now that I have upgraded.

I regularly copy 3 folders and their contents to DVD amounting to about 2 gig for transportation to other locations.

With Drag-To-Disk it was less than a 10 minute copy and I never had any flaws in data.

Now with the Vista built in file copy and burn to disk application, it wants almost 2 hours to do the same job regardless whether I choose the live format or mastered format.

Is there a way to quickly copy 3 folders totalling 2 gigs to a DVD in Windows Vista that won't take all day?

Best wishes.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Vista is very slow. For one thing, it caches all that is going to be burned, even if it is just in a nearby folder. It is too careful to do a good job.

All drag-to-disk burning is done by "packet writers". It is a non-standard format (though getting more "standard' since that is what Vista uses, too) that has been infamous for all the problems it caused. But things are getting better.

Another disadvantage is that they only write to RW CD's. Those are prone to failure and data loss a lot sooner than standard CD's.

Most people today use USB flash drives for this sort of thing.

The best solution would be to keep files you want to burn in a folder and just burn them all to CD at once in standard ISO format. You get a lot more usable space on the CD that way.

But you could also get a new packet-writer, like InCD, Toast, or something along those lines.

WatchBurn is another possibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but 2 gigs won't fit a CD and I don't know how to do the "standard ISO format" thing.

USB drive is interesting.
  • How long does it take to copy 2 gigs from Vista files to the USB drive?
  • How long do USB drives last and how many times can they be erased and re-written?
Do packet-writers, like "InCD, Toast, WatchBurn or something along those lines" work in Vista and with DVD-RW media?

Best wishes.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Yes, DVD's work the same way and use the same formats.

The USB flash drives can be reused 100's or 1000's of times. They transfer data at USB 2 speeds and so are very fast. They can be used as additional caching memory in Vista using ReadyBoost. They can be found very cheaply for under $10 for 4 GB's in some places. The brand-name ones last longer and cost a bit more.

Everything said about CD's applies to DVD's, too.

2 GB's to a flash drive? Depends, but maybe 2 minutes.

They have a normal drive letter so automated backup programs can use them, too.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
I think you'll like them. Fast and portable.

Good luck.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.