Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in desperate need of some help. I went to format the drive, and in the mean time it now, does not recognize anything, when trying to restart with the recovery CD and 98 startup disk. Help........anyone out there that could possibly tell me how to get it back up and running. I will be so very greatful. Thanks! It shows the COMPAQ, and then shows the quick restore screen, but disappears, and then doesn't do anything. I am running WIN98, on a compaq.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
If you formatted the hard drive, you wiped out the partition with the information that Compaq puts there to help you with the restore option.....

You are going to need to go to their website and download the softpaq that allows you to get that partition back......

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AcaCandy,
Now, if you could just help me a bit more would be appreciated. Just want to make sure on what I'm doing here. So I take it, it will be okay, to download on to floppy or such and then do I start the computer up with it? I have never been this route before, and called for help, but they refuse to help with their software, even though I still have three days left on the warranty.

In other words, I am asking; do I download on this machine, and then start other machine up with it in the drive? Thanks again, for your help.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Go here and plug your series number first, then select your model number from the drop down menu, then select your operating system....

http://web14.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp

I'm not sure how large the files are....if you'll post your series/model number, I'll have a look.

First glance looks like it could be as large as 4MB....do you have a cd burner?

Here's what they say on the site: (I've never used one of these, so about all I can do is refer you to their site)

An .EXE SoftPaq is either ready-to-run or the SoftPaq is self-extracting. Self-extracting means you run the .EXE file to extract more files bundled inside. You don't need any special program to do this. But most of the time, you will need one or more formatted 1.44 MB diskettes.
Follow these steps:
Create a temporary directory on your computer (for example, c:\softpaqs). This will help you easily find and run the SoftPaq after you download it.
Locate the SoftPaq that you need on the Compaq web pages and click on the SoftPaq number. A "Save AS" dialog box appears.
Choose the directory to hold the SoftPaq and click on OK.
Place a formatted 1.44 MB diskette into the diskette drive.
Run the Softpaq.
If you are using Windows 95, click on the Start button and select Run. Browse to the directory and select the SoftPaq file with the .EXE extension.
In Windows 3.1, choose File and then Run. Browse to the directory and select the SoftPaq file with the .EXE extension.
In DOS, change to the directory that contains the SoftPaq. At the prompt, type in the name of the SoftPaq (for example, "SP1450") and press the Enter key.
Most of the time, SoftPaqs will create the diskette, but sometimes a SoftPaq will copy (self-extract) several files to your temporary directory, including a file called QRST.EXE. NOTE: The file may not have the exact name of QRST, but will include QRST in the name. For example, you may find a file called QRST5.
Run the QRST program.
If the Select Option for Creating Disks prompt appears, press the Enter key.
At the Enter Destination Drive prompt, type the drive letter of your diskette drive and press Enter.
A counter box will show you the status of the diskette creation. Follow the instructions if you are prompted for more diskettes. Continue until all diskettes have been created.
The diskette should contain a file called README, or a similar name, that will tell you how to install the software. Open the file with NotePad or a text-processor to read the instructions. IMPORTANT: Always carefully read the README file before starting your SoftPaq. The README file contains vital information and precautions about the SoftPaq.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to keep you informed. I called Compaq to find out where to get the softpaq. They informed me that it wouldn't help, that I needed to erase the partition completely, and redo. They gave me a place on internet where I could email, so have, and hopefully will hear back soon. I guess, from what was said, they will write down step per step directions on what I needed to do. So hopefully................

Thank you so much, though. I'll be back if I can't get this going. I'm bound determine, I will fix it.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
In any event, post back exactly what you ended up having to do, so we can all learn! :)

Also, don't hold your breath for an email response....I've been waiting for a response for a client for over a year, and after 5 emails, gave up...........

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) Just wanted to update you on the drive. Believe it or not, Compaq got back to me within the hour. Like you, I really didn't think I'd get a response so quick. When I did, shocked me even more as they literately gave me step per step directions. Now, if it ever happens again, I've got it made. In fact the first set of directions, after I came to step 6, wouldn't do as was supposed to, so wrote back to them again, and within 45 min. rec'd the new directions.

Today, is the first time I knew anything about Compaq having technical help through email, no cost involved. Was very nice, I must say...... I printed out the list of prompts, and such for future reference. I know I've went through this a couple of times, and had to be walked through the steps over the phone. If anyone is ever in need as I was today, with doing a full restore on a Compaq or any other problems, just go to their site, which I will post the link to. Again, thanks for the help. Hopefully, with this bit of info, I was able to help someone in return.

Help from Compaq on internet:
http://askq.compaq.com/askpresario/form.asp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.