Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I try to access my floppy disk drive I get an error message, which reads "The disk in drive A is not formatted". It says this even when there is no disk in the drive. If you insert a disk it asks you to format it, but it wont let you. Basically I have lost the use of floppy drive which is a bit worrying. I hope that someone can help. I am running win98SE. The floppy disk is new and works in my laptop. Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. The problem was in the CMOS BIOS. The A drive was set to none. I am not sure what did this, as the drive used to work. Anyway it is fixed now. Whilst in BIOS underneath Drive A and Drive B there is a line called Floppy 3 Mode Support. This was set to None and I changed this to Drive A. I am not sure if this was the right thing to do. Anyone know what Floppy 3 mode support is?

Anyway everything seems to work now. THANKS a lot for all your help.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
No, that Floppy Mode 3 thing is normally turned off or disabled.

It has to do mostly with places like Japan (or Far East users), all about supporting a weird sized floppy. Most of the rest of the World don't even have those size floppies.

Don't know if it does any harm to select it, but it won't do nothing for you either, might interfere in some manner. Would set it to None / Disable / Off which ever applies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.