Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello can anybody help please,my kingston data traveller flash drive is not recognized in my computer. it is recognized in notifications are, but then switches immediately to another icon to safely remove hardware, I have tried repairing with right click.my computer/manage/diskmanagement/right click in the drive corresponding to flash drive, and chose change drive letter,this did not work,also tried uninstalling all usb drivers and let windows reinstall all drivers this also did not work. It picks up the kingston flash drive when I went to my computer/manage/diskmanagement/right click in the drive corresponding to flash drive, and chose change drive letterin drive F but does not pick it up in my computer. I have xp pro with sp2 installed thank you in advance wynford400

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes Ron all other usb are recognized. printers, camera and web camera, and john I will have to ask my friend up to do the recommendations you suggested I dont think I am good enough to do the job you suggested thank you very much for your reply, I will let you know what happens after my friend does the recommendations sugested. wynford400

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Never mind, I misread the first statement.

Can you open a command prompt (Start, Run, CMD) and do this:

DIR F:\

What do you get with the FLASH drive installed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry for the delay in replying, only had pc back last night, on the flash drive fault, pc vendor was unable e to enable flash drive in any way, he eventually had to reinstall a fresh windows to get it enabled in my computer in windows, thanks for your help, and I wanted to let you know the outcome wynford400

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.