Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not Sure if this is the right place for this but here goes, i'm trying to do something that might be impossible. a friend of mine had an old External Sony USB CD-RW,which he decided to change to an internal, when we did this he gave me the casing from the external, no comes my question. i am trying to use that casing for an external HDD. Windows Xp Sp1 finds it but when it installs it says the drive is unable to start. on a side not the external drive does have its on power. is there a way to make this work? or am i going to just have to buy an enclosure.

Thanks In Advance for any help,
Robert.
:)

· Registered
17,594 Posts
Is this drive connected by USB?

It will have to have external power, a USB port can only deliver 0.5 amps at 5 volts.
That will not even power a laptop HDD (they need to piggy back across 2 USB ports) so a full sized HDD has no chance.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
I'm having difficulty believing that a CD-RW driver was powered from a single USB connection, so there must be provisions for external power. I've used hard disks and CD/DVD drives in the same enclosure, they're pretty generic USB <> IDE interfaces.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
If the drive works properly installed internally, and it's jumpered as a single master, I'd start suspecting the enclosure or the installation. Did you try the external drive on a different system to rule out some USB issues on that computer?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no but i have another device that uses the same cable. i even swapped cables and tried that. same thing, tried reinstalling drivers for the usb device, same thing. is there a driver for external drives from Western Digital?

· Retired Administrator
104,767 Posts
I tried using an old Iomega enclosure for a hard drive. Never could get it to work either :( Although, I will admit, I didn't waste too much time trying, but the basics would never work.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
There are no drivers required for ME/2K/XP for USB attached storage. However, I've heard that Iomega is a non-standard interface and requires drivers, but I have no personal experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.