Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: IE closes immediately, with the pop-up that says, "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close..." blah blah blah. I sent the error reports. Running Windows XP, up-to-date as of 2 days ago, virus protection up-to-date and scanned a few days ago.

Background: This morning, when I connected to the internet, I noticed the little security alert shield icon, and it said it was downloading updates... I thought this was strange, since I have my settings on "notify but don't automatically download". Just a couple of days ago, this worked, I was notified that there were updates available, and I downloaded them & installed them. This time it downloaded automatically. It was a big one, so I had plenty of time to check it out (make sure something wasn't being hijacked), and I installed Sygate Personal Firewall. When I resumed my connection, SPF let me know that it was downloading from au.microsoft. whatever the rest is, I forget, I just remember it looked valid, so I allowed it. I installed the updates when they were done. I chose to restart later, since I was in the middle of something...

That's when trouble began. After rebooting, Outlook seemed to work okay, then I started up Windows Media Player like I usually do, and that gave me the "encountered an error and needs to close" message. I went to open IE and it gave the same type of error. Then Outlook decided to jump on the bandwagon and do the same.

I tried to open the help window from the start menu, and I got the explorer error. I was hoping to do a system restore to yesterday, but it seems that won't be possible!

I tried going to windows update, and the same song, IE closes before I can do anything.

I went to the control panel, and used Add/Remove Programs to remove the Sygate firewall, hoping that would help. After rebooting, the current status is: Outlook works, IE does not, Media Player does not.

I ran HJT to get a log, put it on my memory stick, but I can't get the computer I'm on right now to recognize it anymore, when I stick it in, windows sees new hardware and tried to find a driver for it, and fails. I may have to do some updates to this computer (it's the pc I bought 5 years ago, running Windows 98, I recently wiped it back with the system disk for my mom, and only got as far as the "critical" updates shown on windows update for bringing it up-to-date).

Is there anything else I can try on the XP system, while I try to get the driver I need for this one? I've never had any problems with it before, in the seven months I've had it, so I don't have any XP self-troubleshooting strategies. Can I (should I) boot into safe mode? If so, how?

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I did find the System Restore utility via Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and it worked. After being away for the weekend, I came back and tried the Windows Update again, just downloaded the latest "Cumulative Security Patch", and the problem reappeared, so I just restored to right before that and it's fine. I guess I'll have to wait until the bugs get cleared out of that to install it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.