Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have bought a Neso 1TB harddrive by Hitachi eSata and USB2.0 external harddrive. I also have a card that fits in the back of my PC which takes a cable from an internal sata connection and puts it to eSata.(The card does not actually plug into the PCI socket, its just a plate). I plugged my hard drive in via USB and it worked fine, I then went and plugged it in via eSata and it wouldn't pick it up.

I have tried turning it on before and after boot and it does not show up in disk management. I have tried it on two other PCs to no prevail so either its something i'm doing constantly wrong or the HDs eSata connection is dead.

Any ideas?
Thanks for any help,
Andy

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I am thinking that it is the adapter Cable from the Sata to ESata connection. The adapter itself may be bad.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Is this a card that plugs into a pci slot on the mb? If so, you most likely need to install a driver for the card.

Post a screenshot of device manager.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have a card that fits in the back of my PC which takes a cable from an internal sata connection and puts it to eSata.(The card does not actually plug into the PCI socket, its just a plate)
It doesn't show in device manager as it is not an actual device.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
You still have not posted a screenshot of device mgr.

Next what mode do you have your sata controller set to; ie native ide, ahci, or raid?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To crjdriver:
I am not posting a picture of device manager as it does not show up there. It is not a device that has drivers or anything - it is just basically an extension of the sata connection to the outside of the PC.
I have tried all the settings in BIOS and still nothing. I think they at the moment are set to native ide.

To Rich-M

It is as follows:
The card has just got two eSata ports on. They are connected to sata plugs on the motherboard with cables. I am plugging a powered esata external harddrive into the card with a 1m cable. The card is not connected to the motherboard in any other way than with the wires - it does not slot into the PCI slot on the motherboard.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Did it ever occurred to you that I am trying to see if you have any other problem???

Of course you must be an expert; that is why you are posting for help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why you get so annoyed over small thing. I simply said that it doesn't show up on device manager. If there was any other problem or something was wrong in device manager, I would have said.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Since you tried the drive on two other computers "to no prevail" I am assuming that means it did not work on those two computers using the ESata connection either. If that is the case have you tried a new ESata cable between the drive and the computer yet?

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I was talking about the cable between the hard drive and the computer.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
It may be that the Esata connection on the external drive is no good. Is this drive still under warranty?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, only just bought it. Thats annoying but everything does seem to point to that doesn't it :-(
Just a quick question:
Is eSata meant to be plug and play?
Thanks for your help everyone.
Andy

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just found out that it isn't the drive. I got a cable that was direct SATA to eSATA and cutout the plate I was using. It worked fine. I can't imagine why two of those plates wouldn't work by all it needed was a direct cable (Sata one end, eSata the other).

Thanks
Andy :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.