Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through some threads with similar problems...I'm trying to boot up someway without losing all the data on my hard drive. I'm in the recovery console, ran fixboot, and it's asking me if I want to write a new bootsector to the partition C:? Will this wipe out my data? If yes, what are my other options? I can reload Windows from my reinstallation CD, but I don't want to wipe out my data.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Model of Dell?

No, a fixboot command will not delete data, but as we always say here, back up first.

If it won't boot and you have critical data, remove the hard drive to recover (copy) data, then troubleshoot the error.

If that laptop has a recovery partition or a diagnostic partition (most likely has this one), a fixboot command will break the function of these partitions, Dell uses custom MBR's on most of their products and the fixboot command will replace it with the standard windows MBR, no way to recover the Dell custom MBR if you do this, unless of course you back up the MBR first. I doubt the problem is with the MBR, most likely a hardware issue.

Post the model of laptop you have and I can help you with running the Dell diagnostics on the hardware.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Hi keithbeef!

Have you tried running Check disk? In the recovery console, simply type in chkdsk /r and press ENTER. I would recommend it before running any fixboot/fixmbr commands.

You could consider running a repair install (which will not wipe your data, only replace the system files).

There are ways to backup your data first, I usually use a "live cd" like Knoppix or Ubuntu - where you can simply boot from the cd and it will run a linux-like OS without having to install anything or copy anything to the HDD. Then you can browse your files and copy them to a memory stick or whatever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mumbodog and Zabusant for replying to my post! I'm giving up for the night and will be back on around 11:30AM Eastern on Sunday. I have a Dell Inspirion 600M (I know it's old) but before my crashes it did very well. I've done chkdsk, but not /r. Just did that and after 25 min. it's still only at 50% complete. I looked at Knoppix but it's all in German, and from one class and the German soccer team I played on, it wasn't enough to figure out what to do. I have hope, however. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yeah, chkdsk /r can take hours, so just let it run.

Nah, you can choose english, just click on the flag on the top of the page to select the language you want. My german sucks too. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.